Radiators Hot Cold Warm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've learnt a lot lurking over the last few days so thank you.

Can someone offer some advice on the following please.....?

I live in a 3 bed house, I have a 'header tank' system (not combi boiler) which drives the heating and hot water. First sign of any issue was a radiator that was not getting hot.

I tried bleeding it but there was cold water instantly although this didn't come out under pressure.

I had a plumber visit who said it was likely to be a blockage in the pipe work (8mm...??), he changed the valves and flushed the radiator and applied inhibitor to the system. He also changed some of the valve settings on the upstairs rads.

This didn't work so he came back and applied some cleaner to the header tank. Again the non working radiator didn't come back to life and he said he had done all he could. He said he would need to replace the pipes or it could be a new pump required.

Today for no reason at all the heating and hot water went off. Reading up on here, I checked the 3 way valve switched between as it should and it does, I then opened the large screw on the front of the pump, there was some air in the system (about a second or two in time came out), then there was an almighty rush of water and the pump came back to life.

I now have heating and hot water. The problem is that the radiator that wasn't working still isn't and it seems the one feeding it also now isn't working (it gets a little warm in places).

I have bled all rads in turn from upstairs to down and have removed some air, the rads upstairs are really warm all over now, but what is happening now downstairs.... can anyone shed any light....? Might I still have air in the system, if so can someone point me in the right direction to remove it....?

Thank you so much for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Turn the upstairs rads off to see if the problem ones heat up.
Could be a blockage, could be a balancing issue.

Hi Thanks for your reply.

If I turn the others off, it doesn't seem to make a difference. The lockshield valves have definitely been altered in the last few visits, I don't understand why a new radiator would now get the problem....? Does this mean its unbalanced....?

Drain down system.

Remove problem radiator.

Connect hose pipe to each radiator valve in turn and push the cold mains down it.

Very unlikely that this doesn't sort it out.

Sponsored Links
Drain down system.

Remove problem radiator.

Connect hose pipe to each radiator valve in turn and push the cold mains down it.

Thanks for your reply too, this did happen on the first problem radiator but did not resolve and now its moved to the next one back in the loop. Should we do this on all radiators. The water from the radiators is clean.

Drain down system.

Remove problem radiator.

Thanks for your reply too, this did happen on the first problem radiator but did not resolve and now its moved to the next one back in the loop. Should we do this on all radiators. The water from the radiators is clean.

You miss understand what i have said. It does not involve the radiator.
You are pushing cold mains through the radiator valve into the central heating piping.

Ahh, I get you now - I will give that a go and let you know how I get on.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back