Radiators hung on plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What fixings are best to use to hang a radiator on a plasterboarded stud partition wall? The P/B is 12.5mm & skimmed, the radiator is single and 1000mm x 600mm.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuming it is a false wall...

I would discover where the wooden verticals are first and only screw into these. Of course this will very unlikely be in line with your brackets.

You can cut out some plasterboard and add some wood in the correct areas for the brackets - then replace the plasterboard you cut out and repair wall.

or

You can screw a sheet of ply or MDF (1cm at most thickness) to the wall (using the wooden verticals) and then screw the brackets to that. Make sure the thin sheet is smaller than your rad so cannot be seen!

p1399143_l.jpg

Thats my weapon of choice.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12229...Hollow-Wall-Anchor-5-x-52mm-8-16mm-Pack-of-10

Sponsored Links
i'm with cowboy, just got to think of the toggles as disposable.

i can never get the other ones to expand properly. and the little hooks the bite into the board just tear it apart...

maybe i am just using rubbish ones..

However saying all that the sheet of ply screwed to the studs, has to be the best job... but a lot more expensive than a couple of toggles.

When I put a rad on, I put it on to stay on!
had one fall off on me when i was a trainee - v :oops:

i'm with cowboy, just got to think of the toggles as disposable.

i can never get the other ones to expand properly. and the little hooks the bite into the board just tear it apart...

maybe i am just using rubbish ones..

However saying all that the sheet of ply screwed to the studs, has to be the best job... but a lot more expensive than a couple of toggles.

You need to use one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...ton.x=11&searchbutton.y=6&searchbutton=submit

Makes them loads quicker to put in.

Nick.

:D ive got 1 of those in my workshop at work always wondered what is was,thanx xtraraptor :D

Run a bead of silicone behind the rad bracket.

The wall will come down before the rad falls off :eek: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back