Radiators only warm when hot water is on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a standard open-vented system with an old back boiler behind a fireplace downstairs feeding 7 radiators. Recently I've noticed whilst the hot water is also on the radiators only seem to get luke warm - when I turn off the hot water they get red hot.

The pipes in and out of the pump and motorised valve always seem hot.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Two ideas

Least likely first

1 An unserviced boiler doesnt create as much heat as it should do if its started to choke up with carbon and/or the gas pressure isnt properly adjusted. Has your boiler been serviced lately?

2 A diverter valve shares the flow of water from your boiler equally between the HW and CH yet the HW part of the circuit goes through a coil and straight back to the boiler [effectively a short circuit]. A system with a lot of resistance through its CH circuit due to an airlock or long runs of CH pipework or sludge [most likely] will be harder work for your pump. To counter this you could try turning your pump up a notch if thats possible otherwise it could be time for a powerflush and/or you may have to accept that this is a fact of life with an older sytem.

You should have a lockshield valve on the HW circuit to differentially balance this with the CH.

Close this a little at a time until the CH improves.

If there is none then drain system and fit one!

Tony

Sponsored Links
In addition to the aforementioned, which is all true: set the programmer so that the hot water starts and finishes before the heating comes on. As it is a backboiler, the f&e tank, pipes and rads are probably full of sludge too which does not help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back