Radiators Warm When Water only selected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ocean Alpha 240P. I used to have the problem that HW would work only when the heating was on. A plumber came and fixed this problem, changing something (a brass disk-like thing, which cost £25 on the receipt). Now the problem is that even when I have the selection to HW only, the radiators become hot when I use hot water for long(all the radiators). It seems to be going from the correct flow. I called the plumber and he told me that some sort of valve needed tuning or something. The interesting thing is that when I use the wall-mounted controller (instead of the one on the front of the boiler) and put it to HW only, the problem seems to go. Generally it takes time to heat up and then cool down, so I am not 100% sure about the circumstances when the problem exists and when not. ANy ideas what might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
your first problem was the diverter valve/ diaphragm perished most probably

now, if you run hot water and the radiators warm up it means that the hot water is passing down your valve into your flow pipe which means new valve, but i cant understand why it doesnt do it when you use your wall-mounted controller

Even the thermostat for the CH plays a role, if it is high then it will start (with HW only selected) if it is low it won't start. It seems as if the running of hot water short-circuits the front-panel water only selection, which is very weird.

are you sure that its not stuck into CH position on the boiler and that the button has snapped at the back

Sponsored Links
That's what I was thinking right after my previous reply... but then CH would be on even when hot water was not running... I will make a few more experiments when I go home in the evening, and probably open it up to see what's happening inside.

central heating would only work if it was called for though, maybe its a possibility it was calling for heat when you was investigating...have a look when you get home tonight!

Ok I checked again and it has nothing to do with the panels' settings. So it must be the valve. Is it feasible that a non-experienced person can fix this? I have experience on fixing the pipe under the sink and that's all I have done as far as plumbing is concerned. What is the exact name of the valve? How much does it cost approximately?

Thank you

If it is of any importance, the plumber replaced the "pressure actuator" of my boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back