Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are going to repaint radiators, how do you prep them? Can you use a heat gun and scraper to remove the old paint? They have been removed from walls and emptied.

Sponsored Links
Is the original finish really that bad you can’t paint over it after a light sanding & de-grease? Ordinary heat gun won't work as the steel will dissipate the heat too quickly without affecting the paint. Chemical paint stripper is probably the quickest way but it’s very messy; or you could try a blow lamp!

Yes, I think we probably could just sand and de-grease. What do you use to degrease (do you just wash them down?) and then should we just paint over the sanded paint with radiator paint?
Thanks

Don’t go too heavy with sanding paint on steel panels & do it in straight lines not circular or you will see scratches in the new finish; what your looking for is to provide a key so the original paint is dull not to remove it. I would use 220 grade wet or dry (used dry), wipe it over with ordinary white spirit & allow to dry; use radiator paint if you want a white finish, ordinary gloss will quickly yellow.

Sponsored Links
if you have the time and want a great finish the get yourself.

Nitromoze, Bits of soft wood, iron wool and a day.

The Nirtomoze rips through anything.
The wood bits, I had from an old wardrobe, proved great for scraping the gunk off, as the 'melted' paint sticks to anything and everything, so the wood can be thrown away.
This leaves a smooth finish.
Wash down, re apply if needed.
Iron wool, is not very abrasive, so no major scratching.

I got mine back to the bare metal then used radiator spray paint, to paint it.

Looked like new

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back