Radiotors perforating like billyoh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is wrong with my CH system.

In the past 2 months I have replaced 3 radiators that have perforated. After the first one went I made sure the system had inhibitor in it. When I drained down to deal with the other 2 rads (that leaked within 2 weeks of each other) the water was clean and frothy. Incidently a rad leaked on the system within 9 months of install and was replaced under warranty. The system is now about 4-5 yrs old.

The rads are called Concept.

Co-incidently, on another post here the heat exchanger on the boiler has developed a crack :confused:

Happy New Year to all...

Sponsored Links
If you start with a heavily corroded system, then, sadly, you can induce leaks by (a) draining and (b) adding an inhibitor.

This is because the act of draining will loosen deposits that are blocking latent leaks, and the chemical inhibitor will tend to exacerbate that effect.

You might want to consider replacing other rads of the same vintage, but spring is a better time to do this than mid-winter.

I use concept rads & have done for the last 8/9 years & have never gone back to 1. all my work is repeat no advertising so i would of heard of any. where i live if u kick 1 plumber 20 start limping.YOU HAVE GOT A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THE INSTALLATION.Get it looked at quick.

The system was installed by a plumber on recommendation of a neighbour of mine who is and ex-plumber. He uses the same guy to do his work for him so I feel reasonably confident that he knows what he is doing.

The boiler is sited in the loft and is fed from a pressure sphere that I keep topped up to just under 1 bar (closed system). There is a little device near the boiler that vents out air (it hisses when refiling the system). The whole system was installed from scratch, previous system was pulled out including the hot water tank. When you say there is something seriously wrong, what do you mean, is it a quality of water issue?.
What process would cause the system to become corrosive?

I am seriously considering replacing more rads before B&Q's 15% discount scheme ends tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
damorad said:
The system was installed by a plumber on recommendation of a neighbour of mine who is and ex-plumber. He uses the same guy to do his work for him so I feel reasonably confident that he knows what he is doing.
Your system is less than 5 years old, and you've had to replace three rads! Trust me, either the installer did NOT know what he was doing, or someone has seriously abused the system during its short life.

damorad said:
The boiler is sited in the loft and is fed from a pressure sphere that I keep topped up to just under 1 bar (closed system). There is a little device near the boiler that vents out air (it hisses when refiling the system).
The reason you need to keep repressuring is that it is corroding - the gas that you hear escaping is a by-product of the corrosion process.

damorad said:
What process would cause the system to become corrosive?
Water that is too acidic, or lack of a chemical inhibitor, or both.

damorad said:
I am seriously considering replacing more rads before B&Q's 15% discount scheme ends tomorrow.
Hardly worth it IMO - most non-tradesmen can get a healthy discount at the local plumber's merchant, even without buying a bunch of rads.

When u say u keep the system topped up , how often do u have to do this & what is it down to before u refill it . I fear you hav been running the boiler without water perhaps.

The boiler is at the top of the system but it is fed by the pump on the floor below (in tank cupboard). Last year I had a problem with the pump leaking. I was constantly topping up until I replaced it so I suspect the inhibitor was 0% for a while...

bab said:
When u say u keep the system topped up , how often do u have to do this & what is it down to before u refill it . I fear you hav been running the boiler without water perhaps.
bab, this one is a combi.

Mornin Softus. I do think its a Suprima 60 ,he's already asked about welding the cast iron heatexchanger.& the pumps in the airing and boiler in attic.

Hi bab. I can see that he wrote that the pump is in the cupboard below, and have belatedly read his other topic on welding the HE.

However, is it possible that there are two boilers in use? The old one on a pumped vented system for CH and the other one (in the loft) for DHW only?

Or are there two different properties? Or two different damorads?

Forum /plumbing chatroom? If damorad gets back to us he can sort out different postings.I do feel that sometimes the guys with the problems have less intrest in there problem than the guys trying to help.Either way somethings not adding up with that system.A sealed system with only a small leak 5yrs old thats already had 3 replacement rads & now a castiron cracked exchanger. something dont ring true.

Sorry for neglecting this post...

Regarding my set-up..
I have a closed system with a boiler in the loft, next to the boiler is an expansion sphere (which I have now re-plumbed). There was a one way check valve between the sphere and the CH, so the sphere was not able to do its job ). I can now see that this check valve has been the causation of all of my problems, God knows what pressure my system has been working under.

Yesterday I replaced the heat exchanger, this morning I moved the check vale to the mains side and for the first time the pressure gauge on the sphere is fluctuating depending on how hot the water is.

With the pressure off (no pun intended) I'm hoping everything will settle down...

I do appreciate that you could just flame us newbies so once again thanks for all your input on this one...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back