Rads corroded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am taking off all the rads in a house i have bought as they are all rusty at the bottom (you can see the rust). I think there has never been any inhibitor added to this system.

What will the copper pipes be like if the rads are this bad. I know copper is ok with water, but could they also be furred up inside ?

I am hoping to keep the copper pipe system and just replace the rads and boiler.

Sponsored Links
Best bet is to put some fernox F5 or Sentinel X400 run the central heating for about 2 weeks, then completely drain the system while hot, fill back up run the system for about 30min, then drain again fill back up and repeat until water is clear, then fill up and add inhibitor. But if your system is really bad you may require a power flush.

Rust on the exterior of a rad has nothing to do with inhibitor. I assume you're referring to exterior surfaces of the rads?

Sponsored Links
Cure the rust and re paint. Take the rads off and flush them outside before painting and refitting. Refill your rads and add some inhibitor and try the heating and see how it performs.

If the system is sound and installed properly it doesn't need an inhibitor. Other than crap boiler manufacturers using it as a get out clause if they find a speck of dirt.

If the system is sound and installed properly it doesn't need an inhibitor. Other than crap boiler manufacturers using it as a get out clause if they find a speck of dirt.
Yes, take no notice of all boiler manufacturers and the likes of Fernox and Sentinel, they know nothing. A perfect system is as rare as rocking horse poo.

Yes, take no notice of all boiler manufacturers and the likes of Fernox and Sentinel, they know nothing. A perfect system is as rare as rocking horse poo.
Hit of sarcasm there?

:LOL: just a little.

Not biting :LOL: :LOL: because I disagree.

No, and I'll repeat No, modern sealed system should have problems with air, in which case you don't need an inhibitor.

I installed my open vented over 40 years ago and not a sign of any problem, and now I suppose the rads will all leak and the copper tube will disintegrate :LOL:

Other than that it's an opinion, if anyone disagree's fine that is their opinion so not a problem.

No, and I'll repeat No, modern sealed system should have problems with air, in which case you don't need an inhibitor.

Other than that it's an opinion, if anyone disagree's fine that is their opinion so not a problem.

Well for a start, I disagree with that statement.

A clean modern system will NOT have any problems with air!

Well for a start, I disagree with that statement.

A clean modern system will NOT have any problems with air!

Like to explain why Tony. Perhaps some reading lessons.

No modern sealed system should have problems with air.

You still have dis-similar metals even if there is not air. I presume that's one of the things the inhibitors protect again, certainly it is in the case of a car cooling/radiator loop.

Daniel

You still have dis-similar metals even if there is not air. I presume that's one of the things the inhibitors protect again, certainly it is in the case of a car cooling/radiator loop.

Daniel

Stray currents, faulty earthing etc can cause rapid corrosion in rads etc, with or without an inhibitor and the same can apply to dissimilar metals

Generally speaking heating systems are filled using mains cold water (usually through a filling loop or a header tank, blah, blah, blah). Mains cold water contains dissolved air, turbulence caused during the filling process will entrain more air into the water. This entrained air does not bleed out of the system straight away, therefore air will be in the system. In my eyes this is why inhibitor is required in every system.

James.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back