Rage or Blacktip blade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks

I've got an Evolution Rage 185mm circular saw - got it off ebay for a good price but it has one or two chipped teeth on it's blade so I'm looking to get a replacement as I assume it's no longer safe.

I can't see myself cutting too much metal or nail embedded wood so I was wondering if it might be better (finish wise) to go for a fine cut 185mm blacktip blade http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/uk/group/blacktip.php and maybe back it up with a compatible blade like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-multipurpose-saw-blade-184-x-20mm-20t/78615 for rip cuts and other stuff?

Sponsored Links
Whilst Erbauer blades aren't as awful as Silverline ones, they are hardly top quality cutting instruments. For that matter, neither are the Evolution blades IMHO. For good quality blades look for something like Bosch Construct (nail-proof) or Optiline blades, deWalt series 30 or series 40 blades or Makita/M-force blades. These can often be had at a very reasonable price if you go looking for surplus or remaindered stock. One budget brand to be aware of is Dart who do excellent blades at relatively low cost - the downside is that they have thinner carbide and so can be resharpened less times than the premium brands. The difference in feel between using a cheap blade and a good 'un is often quite a surprise. BTW if you can't get the bore you require then look for a 30mm bore and get a sawblade washer (reducer) - these often come with the better blades in any case. Typical tooth count for fast ripping would be 12 to 16t on 184mm, with finer work requiring more teeth

Just as a quick update to this - I contacted Evolution to ask what limitations there were for these saws in terms of third party blades and the answer is you can use them...but...as I've since learned good luck in finding ones that fit as they need to be max 185mm x 20mm bore with max 2.0mm kerf.

I can find quite a few blades that are around 185mm x 20mm bore (or larger) but all these blades seem to have kerf sizes up above 2.0mm...

I'll give it a go but maybe I'll be putting this saw back on fleabay and getting a more normal circular that will take rip and fine cut wood blades.

Sponsored Links
I should add that the Blacktip blades may fit the Rage saws - the 185mm Blacktips have a quoted bore of 16mm but in the shop says they ship with bore reducers from 30 - 16mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back