Railway Sleeper Retaining Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create a 24" high retaining wall and current thought is railway sleepers.

I would propose to use 8' x 8" x 4" sleepers stacked on their narrowest edge ie 3 x 8" to create a 24" high wall over a length of 56 feet.

I would use sleeper posts in to the ground at 8 foot intervals and dead men to anchor the wall to reduce chances of moving/breaching.

So if the wall is to be 24" high how deep should the posts go? How big a hole should I dig for both post and concrete?

Cheers

Simon

Sponsored Links
The rule of thumb is one third the height of the post is the size of the hole.

The hole would need to be a four or inches wider all round for the size of post you are proposing to use.

Blup

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of digging down 2 feet! I may just halve that and go 12" to be on the safe side.

If the sleepers are ones that have been used on a railway line then be aware that they may have had herbicide ( kills plants ) sprayed on them and this may leach out and affect plants close to the wall.

Sponsored Links
So I’d appreciate your views thoughts on initial ideas on levelling.

I my drawings are to scale.

I’m considering using around 30 railway sleepers 8’ x 8” x 4” to create a 24” high wall approximately 56’ long.

Thoughts are to use posts at 8’ intervals approximately 18” in to the ground with around 4” of concrete on all sides of the post.

Land drain behind running off beyond the far fence. Use ¾” limestone chippings to bed pipe in to (and under sleeper wall to act as base). Limestone chippings lock together, soles chance of movement.

I’d probably want to put deadmen anchors at a few intervals back in to the ground.

Thoughts on a postcard, when are you available to help?

P001.jpg

P002.jpg

P003.jpg

P004.jpg

P005.jpg

P006.jpg

P007.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back