Rainwater Downpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The downpipe from the roof guttering on the house I recently bought empties directly on to the ground (it has a shoe end) and not in to a drainage hole. Is this a problem or can I leave it as it is? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Probably not a problem until it starts freezing in winter and makes a nice skating rink ;)

It is a problem as the water will percolate down and make the local ground soft, which leads to foundation movement. It needs to go into a drain or a soakaway which is away from the house

I now have two conflicting views - any other opinions out there?! :confused:

Sponsored Links
It depends where the water ultimately collects. Some older downpipes discharge straight onto hard surfacing that then runs into a collector drain (this can sometimes be onto pavement and then the road). IF the downpipe discharges straight onto a flower bed (one that doesnt have a french drain below or some way the water will flow away from the house) then its probably not right and should be sorted before any damage is done

Saleha said:
I now have two conflicting views - any other opinions out there?! :confused:

I would only add.... where do 95% of existing downpipes and 100% of new build downpipes go to - a drain or the surface?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back