Raised bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build (have built, to be more precise) a new boundary wall in my front garden which will actually be 2 brick walls with soil in between to create a raised bed - in plan it will (??) look like this:

frontgardenwallvh6.jpg

The gap between the parallel walls will be approx 30-35cm, and the widest part across the diagonal at the corner will be 1.25 - 1.3m.

The height will be 6 or 8 courses.

Is this feasible, with single-skinned walls, or will it all fall down?

Yes, I know that the people I get to do it will be the best ones to advise, but for reasons too irrelevant and too boring to explain here I need to know before I start getting quotes in...

Moderator3
I have locked this duplicate post as your other post is here ;) //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=786983#786983

Sponsored Links
The biggest potential problem will of course be at the corner, where there will be a fair weight of soil pressing on the wall skin. I'd be tempted to partially bond the inner and outer skins on the straights at intervals, and provide stub pillars on the corners. Just my view.

I can't see a problem providing you use wall tie or strengthen stainless steel bar between the 2 walls, also a good idea would be to use dpm on the inner wall to stop the wet earth soaking into the brickwork or bitumen paint etc and weeping holes at bottom to allow drainage

LWTS-Pg-54.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back