Raised Beds

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'd like to put some raised beds in for next year. The beds will be 8' by 4' by 6", made of decking boards with 18" tanalised stakes at each corner.

I'm guessing that now is not the time to start digging! Any suggestions as to when I should proceed?

Also, the beds will be along a slight slope. Will it be better to level the beds (digging one edge in by 3") or rest them on the ground, leaving them at a slope?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i would suggest something a bit stronger than decking. whether you dig them in to level them up is personal preference but i would personally dig them in to be level.if you do go ahead with the decking you will need more stakes other than just the corners.
if the boards are only going to be 3-6" out of the ground your pegs wont need to be 18" long.

now is a very good time to get it dug over as the frost wil do a lot of your work for you.
As for the materials it depends on if they are just functional (ie an allotment) or decorative as well. if its just functional then old scaffold boards would be a much stronger and better option. if its decorative, new sleeper are a better bet.

we have used decking boards as well, but they will need intermediate pegs as well to support them.

Thanks for the replies. I tried digging over today but the ground is frozen.

Why would scaffold boards be stronger than decking - the decking is tanalised and 31mm thick, I thought scaffold was untreated and 25mm thick?

Sponsored Links
no theyre about 2 inches thick. wont look as nice though.

Personally, I line the sides with either bricks, blocks or even upright slabs, and line the outside and top edge with your decking boards. But I'm like that.

In answer to your other question, depending on the slope, I'd try to keep the bed flat, to prevent water erosion.

I made mine out of 6 ply and they have been great for the past 3 years.
However I have left enough space round them to add on extra supports and deck boards to make them stronger and better looking when I get the time and money to do so.
I have got loads on my website, just google my forum name and go from there.

Good luck and don't worry about getting it bang on straight away, once you get hooked on this gardening lark its with you for life !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back