Raised flowerbeds question! any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to know if I can build a small raised bed on top of my patio slabs? It would only be about a foot high and around 7 foot long. Would the slabs act as foundations? Also I would like to use Breeze blocks and then render them nice and smooth - so they can be painted white. ...possible? :confused:

Sponsored Links
for me ( im only a DIYer) it would depend on the foundation under the patio slabs regarding roots more than wieght.

if i was building a bedding section and fillling with earth i would worry it would encourage roots from under the patios to grow through causing possible damage to slabs, have you got nearby trees or ivy bushes etc.

do you have to weed it much now?

regarding the wieght maybe you could use the thermolight blocks??

Sure someone will give you some more proffesional info soon.

no problem although you might want to line with black plastic for weed control punch a few drain holes in base for heavy rains but not to many or you will be watering everyday during dry spells

you can, providing they form a firm secure base. If they are bedded on sharp sand or are wobbly already, youd be better off taking a row of them up and pouring a shallow concrete foundation for them.

Sponsored Links
You were saying about breeze blocks these may not be the best choice. You are able to pick up outdoor concrete blocks which are more subsepticale to the weather elements. I would also go for the black poly liner between the slabs and soil. As long as the slabs are well bedded in and are not raised from the ground it should be fine as a base.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back