Raising the lintel in chimney breast opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Have a 1930 semi with fireplaces (once) in every room.
In a downstairs room, adjacent to the kitchen, I'm raising the opening of the chimney breast to circa picture rail height.
This is to accommodate a new WB stove.
Am also opening rear of breast into kitchen, from just-above worktop height to same picture rail height.

This would seem like a straightforward thing to do except, the new lintel height will mean that the "load triangle" (of bricks being supported) extends beyond the floor joists of the first floor. Presumably I have to now consider the dead and live loads of the 2 1st rooms (a bedroom and the bathroom)?

It looks like I'm going to have to get an SE in, but I'd rather argue the over-engineering approach with the BR inspector. Intuitively, I would think that a 100x65x1500pre-stressed lintel over each opening (1150mm wide) would suffice. The mortar is nice and solid, does that help with the composite action of the PSC lintel?

Does anyone have a ready-reckoner for calculating the loads?

Any constructive pointers would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Phone up catnic's technical/sale lines and get them to do the calc.. ok you may have to put in a steel lintel but the cost difference is minimal.

You may find it difficult to argue composite action on existing masonry.. again would be cheaper to up the lintel depth than even do the calc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back