Random Tripping on new consumer unit

Sponsored Links
Come on softus, You need to place a bet here :D

:oops:

I will try yhis on the weekend guys.

Roger

I have had a similar problem and have isolated it down to one ring. The problem I have is that the ring has been inspected and it appears to be in tact. All wiring is new...all connections good...So why the hell is it tripping? And it's raining...hmmmmmmm

Sponsored Links
gw3xjc said:
Come on softus, You need to place a bet here :D
I'll have 51p on JohnD.

KERRM on John! Ride him out. Ride him; RIIIIDE HIIIIM!!

:D Hi Guys, i have not had a chance to do the neutral test this weekend. However, the rcd has not tripped out for 7 days. It's been fine dry weather for 7 days, today it rain and the rcd fellover. I hope that the theory of mine that the two outside 500watt halogens are causing the problem, there is nothing else outside to be affected by the weather. I will renew both and seal them.
I will let you know how I get on.
Happy bonk holiday
Roger ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D I think i may well have found the fault :D :D :D :D

There was an old junction box that I had forgotten about. I think what may have been happening is that there are some RSJ's above this junction box which the damp air would condense on, then a drip of water would drop between live and earth momentarily and cause an earth leakage. By the time i would measure it with a meggar the drip of water would have continued on its way which would explain why I could not measure anything. It's the only explanation I have right now. When it was dry weather I did not have a problem. Its tripped out 3 times in the last two days with the wet weather.
Thanks for all your help guys with this problem, i have learned a lot.

regards Roger Luke

metwou2002 said:
I have had a similar problem and have isolated it down to one ring. The problem I have is that the ring has been inspected and it appears to be in tact. All wiring is new...all connections good...So why the hell is it tripping? And it's raining...hmmmmmmm

Damp in a box on an external wall?

A JB under the floor sitting in a puddle?

Sorry! Didn't read the last post before this one... :oops:

:( :( :( :( Well thats, that theory gone :( :( :( :(

Tripped out three times today even when the suspect circuit disconnected.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

regards
Roger

consider fitting RCBOs,even if you only buy one,and swap it between suspect circuits.

How many circuits are on the RCD side?

Do you have any spare ways on the other side?

Can you post a pic of the CU?

As it seems to coincide with damp, have another look for signs of leaking roofs or gutters, and see if there are any mouse-gnawed cables lying on a damp oversite under the floor.

What circuits do you have outside the house?

If it's not PME, then is it TT? If so how much difference between wet and dry Ze? If you have a TT rod, can you trip the RCD by pouring water over the rod?

:D It is tt at the moment but will be PME on Tuesday.
I am disconnecting whole circuits at a time now. I have an "out house" and have disconnected that and sucking and seeing. There are four circuits from the Cu, it's difficult to take a picture at the moment. Good idea in getting an RCBO's, that something I hadn't thought of.
I will let you know how I get on. I guess it is dampness somewhere. When we get fine weather all is well. It's been a learning curve for me. Thanks for all your help and guidance guys. If you want to know about CCTV I'm your man.
regards Roger. :D

gw3xjc said:
If you want to know about CCTV I'm your man.
regards Roger. :D

Or aerials and related stuff I guess, looking at that user name ;)

you are disconnecting the Neutral as well as the Phase conductor, aren't you? Quite likely you have an N-E fault (P-E are easier to track down as it is more often than not enough to switch off the MCB)

Be aware that you may have small faults in several circuits which, together, are sometimes enough to add up to about 30mA. RCBOs are the best way of getting round them.

Watery appliances like washing machines and kettles are the usual culprits, and things in damp outhouses. Also outdoor lights supplied from an FCU on a socket circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back