range cooker no-no to where we want it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we're in the process of knocking through our kitchen into the dining room to make it from a galley to a combined, I've got 6 kids so need more space... and a bigger cooker.

my plan was to buy a range cooker, one of those gas 7 ring jobbers with twin side by side electric ovens to replace the 4 ring gas hob and fan assisted electric oven we currently have.... you can see from the picture the current set-up, i'm moving the washing machine to make space for the larger range, putting new work surfaces/cupboards in and flipping the sink so the basin is on the right to the draining board.

P11-04-10_1112.jpg

the kitchen designer came round the other day and we explained where and what we wanted... first thing they said was "cant put a range there, building regs says no", something to do with the closeness to the boiler and window sill...

now ive searched high and low for these regulations and have only come up with answers to if i was fitting a hob into the counter and not a "cooker"...

can anyone throw some light onto the subject for me cos if i cant find anything to prove the designer wrong, our only option will be to brick up the back door and move the range to the new wall at further cost.

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
I cannot quote you chapter & verse about regulations but I am in agreement with your designer, in fact if as it looks, you currently have a gas hob near to an opening window, then you are running a risk of a kitchen fire caused by some combustable material being blown on to the flames & igniting. It seems like a remote possibility but I tell you this from personal experience & it is not one I would care to repeat or see anyone else suffer.

we live in an ex council house, ive rented the house round the corner before i purchased the place we're in now, i've been in another 4 houses in the street (all ex council and some still housing association) and every one has their kitchen layed out the same way, boiler on the wall, hob (which i'm removing to replace with the range), sink and window in the exact location... so you're saying that every one of these properties was built against regulations?.. my neighbour in the housing association owned home is going to love that !... "youre in a badly constructed house that could burn down at any time the wind blows

I have seen the way some contractors to the council have thrown in kitchens, 1/2 a day is about the limit to rip out and fit, and where things go and how they look is not on there mind when they do it. I am sure regulations dont come into the equation with some of them. It seams to me they just dont give a toss, its disgusting that these people get on the list of people who can work for the council. NOTE: I am not taring all fitters who work for the council with the same brush because I am sure that there are some good honest fitters out there, this is only from experiance of work I have witnessed.

Sponsored Links
"youre in a badly constructed house that could burn down at any time the wind blows
No I did not say that. I was telling you of personal experience & the risk that is involved, although I do suspect there is a building regulation covering it I am not sure 100%, but to be honest from your response I think you are probably so bloody stupid you would not care if there was & are only looking for someone to agree with you :mad:

simply put, the regs and BS doc say a cooker "should not" be adjacent to a door or window, it isnt mandatory, but like anything else IF something happens they will question why the gas engineer put it there, but as a gas engineer i would get the customer to confirm they demanded it went there then i would fit it. although it can be fitted adjacent to a door and window, can you understand why some of us advise against it, "just in case" ultimately the customer chooses

"youre in a badly constructed house that could burn down at any time the wind blows
No I did not say that. I was telling you of personal experience & the risk that is involved, although I do suspect there is a building regulation covering it I am not sure 100%, but to be honest from your response I think you are probably so bloody stupid you would not care if there was & are only looking for someone to agree with you :mad:

have you ever answered a question about the weather with what you had for your dinner... or been asked what your favourite colour was to answer george clooney??

my initial post was for details regarding regulations, your response about ooh don't do it i cant answer your question but i set fire to my own house due to not paying attention round an open flame has been no help at all to me, i've been in and around kitchens and cookers at some point of the day through my entire 35yr life, iv'e raised 6 children around cookers and not once have i had anything blow into the flame... i know there are possibilities of danger, but, because i know how to carry out risk assessments, i reckon ive got a good handle on any possibilities... so who's the stupid one?

simply put, the regs and BS doc say a cooker "should not" be adjacent to a door or window, it isnt mandatory, but like anything else IF something happens they will question why the gas engineer put it there, but as a gas engineer i would get the customer to confirm they demanded it went there then i would fit it. although it can be fitted adjacent to a door and window, can you understand why some of us advise against it, "just in case" ultimately the customer chooses

thanks for your help Kirkgas.... so basically the designers are covering their backs by stating the regulations, but it probably could be got round by what the customer says goes

distances as per the regs:

freestanding cookers with high level grill

610mm from the grill hood to any surface above
150mm from the hob to the side (to be used in conjunction with the 610mm)
20mm from the cooker sides to any adjacent cabinet

hobs are similar but:

760mm above hotplate
by width of hob
wall cabinets 460mm above worktop on either side of hotplate with
50mm minimum either side of hotplate although 300mm is recomended.

the underlined note below is taken straight from BS6172 (cookers)

8 Siting and clearance requirements for cooking appliances
8.1 Siting of a cooking appliance shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 8.1
The cooking appliance should be conveniently positioned in relation to other facilities, such as the sink and
working spaces, taking account of the requirements of the user. Siting adjacent to doors or openable windows
should be avoided owing to the effects of draughts.
Locations that restrict the use of doors, other kitchen furniture or utensils should be avoided.
Close proximity of the appliance to combustible furnishings, such as curtains, should be avoided.

thanks for all your help kirkgas,

after talking it through with the missus, we decided on a total re-build of the kitchen, new units, new flooring, new appliances, new everything (new job needed to pay for it all too!!)... mainly because it'll give her maximum space without everything crammed onto one side, so the plans look like this...

kitch.jpg

the gas engineer is being contacted tomorrow to come move the supply pipe and connect up the new range cooker.... the patio doors lead into the conservatory, so no possibilities of drafts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back