Range cooker too heavy for insulated floor & screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We're about to lay insulation on top of the distribution pipes and concrete slab. After that we're putting in UFH and then the screed. In the kitchen we're having a big cast iron Esse.
Will the celotex insulation be ok with something that heavy on top of it? we are concerned that it might not be a solid enough base?

Thanks

Daisy

Sponsored Links
What does the thing weigh and what's it's footprint?

Will likely be fine though.

Good. Now call celotex and tell them what you've told us. If no good then I'd omit insulation under there and make it all solid. Obviously that's a bit naughty though.

If you're really lucky someone else will be along in a minute and give you a more useful answer :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Frankly if I were specifying this set up I'd be on the phone too. Or talk to your UFH supplier, its not something that unuasual.

Thanks All. Think we're going to just put a solid slab down in that spot to be on the safe side.

Daisy

Or decrease the insulation depth in that area and increase screed depth? I'd stick 20mm of marmox/insulated tilebacker where the normal floor inso would go, and use the extra depth gained for a thicker screed/concrete.

A compromise, but at least you end up with some insulation, better than none.

If celotex gave the ok, I'd still probably put a 10mm steel plate under it, to distribute any point loading when installing, or from the feet/base.

Have you seen the price of Esse cookers!
I'd use an old roadplate tbh. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back