RangeMaster Toledo - fusing house lights

M B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Toledo is c 4 years old. Developed issue recently where as soon as you turned the control knob on conventional oven it fused the house light ont eh same circuit. Resetting fuses was OK for a short while but then went again. Further reset seemed ok but ended up with oven not being able to be turned off - on full heat even when knob in off position.

The local engineer came out checked it over and replaced the thermostat/couple thingy (stop me if i'm too technical) which seemed to sort the oven regulation. All ok for 4/5 days and now it is fusing lights again. Only the switch on the one oven causes the issue- the other had been fine before we turned all power off - and it will fuse it as soon as you change the position on the knob.

Unsurprisingly we've lost confidence in it but searching for similar faults I can see some that seem related to the clock but nothing about power/fuse issues. I'm not techy (shock) but looking for guidance on next steps - move from local engineer to rangemaster one but heard mixed things.

Any input gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
What is it that you are resetting, an mcb or an rcd ( an rcd has test & reset buttons )Did the local engineer resitance test the element to earth, if not try disconnecting it & insulating the wires. Then switch on & see if it still causes the breaker to trip. It could possibly be the element is faulty & causing the rcd to trip.

Thanks. Will ask and see if that helps.

It shouldn't trip the lights under any circumstances they should be on a completely different circuit, it should trip it's own mcb.

Rangemaster's are excellent appliances and it's a simple fault that's causing the problem, but the chap you had out hasn't fixed it.
Get someone outo whose familiar with them, Rangemaster themselves will recommend a local person if you call them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, gasbani. Think we have finally resolved. Lights issue not related directly and wiring ok. Turned out to be an element getting ready to pop, misshapen and suspect it was shorting in some way. Anyway, changed the elements and all seems ok so far, a week in and no repeat. A bit annoying as I asked about whether could be intermittent element from reading on here and he was convinced he'd found issue on first visit and didn't check. We actually had an argument when I called him out again and asked him to change elements as he thought he was saving us money but not changing unnecessarily. Once out though he took one look and agreed! He was range recommended but never mind, looks like we'll be ok for the turkey...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back