Rapid Manuals.co .uk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone had dealings with Rapid Car Manuals .co .uk. If so are the Manuals any good or is this a rip off site? I am looking for repair information for my Citroen C5 VTR 2008 in particular information about the rear steel sprung multi link suspension. Haynes latest manual only deals with the C5 up to 2008 that is why I am searching elsewhere .Rapid Manuals claim to have such a manual either on CD or to be downloaded but I am not surehow good the their information is.

Sponsored Links
Further to my question about a repair manual for my Citroen C5(2008 onwards) I asked if anyone knew of RapidManuals.co.uk. Since then I have been informed that it is a 'rip-off site' that takes money for orders which are often not delivered and if they are the CD's they supply are pretty useless. It seems that quite a few peope have been fooled and ripped off by this site which I am told operates from a rented housing estate property down south. So beware. Personnaly I think that sites like this should be exposed for what they are but I am not sure how to do this other than post this reply.

Yep me. I ordered a Manual just this Saturday. When checking its status started to get a bit worried. Then checked the address in the contact me page and it was bogus.

To my horror, as I started to investigate it became apparent its a scam

I am currently compiling info on the guy and his many address.

Not sure if I can post links. So wont try just yet.

Sponsored Links
I did receive the CD's afetr about 7 days and they looked quite professionally labelled. The CD's contained PDF instructions which included copying them both onto a new combined folder which took ages and ages, but I completed the job and proceded to the modify a MAC address using a SMAC programme as instructed. I then located a backup folder as instructed and copied a backup installer file from this to replace an outdated file in my new folder. All went well until following the instructions I clicked the 'setup.exe' file only to be informed that it could not access the 'jarfile InstallerFiles\backup-installer.jar' It did this for both Citroen C5 and a Peugeot 407 manuals that I had ordered. The instructions were quite clear and although it may sound complicated it wasn't really. After all the bad things I had heard about RapidManuals at this stage I was still hoping for a good outcome. However it was not to be and numerous emails for help to RapidManuals have not been answered.

MobileMule,

Please be very carefull, why you are changing MAC address to look at a PDF is beyond me. I have a name of michael totonchi now. I am talking to moneybrookers to investigate the guy and the validity of there site.

The reports suggest, (below are but a few) that this guy does infact hack aswell as scam. He defaces some websites etc. Obvously this is only what I have read, and cannot prove anything. MAC address are generally to do with network cards, and this setup thing maybe an scam in itself. Untill I see it I wont know.

http://nukecops.com/postlite30067-.html

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/rapidmanuals.aspx
http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-re...co-uk/rapid-manuals-co-uk-product-n-96e64.htm
http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.rapidmanuals.co.uk
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/rapidmanualscouk-c457548.html
http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=46026

Not sure if those links will work. Couldn't see anything in the forum ruls about it.

Just thought I would give you an update, for anyone else that gets ripped off by rapidmanual or elite manuals.

I have confirmation for moneybrokers that then name the payment has gone to is :-

michael totonchi

moneybrokers is now investigating the account and I have passed all my finding on to them.

I have also been speaking to 123reg.co.uk (DNS regestrators for domain names) and due to the fact that I raised a complaint and the admin can see that the domain is actually be using used for financial transactions they have unblocked the registration information. So I now has his address:-

25 grafton road
dagenham
essex
RM8 1PY
United Kingdom

Enjoy, I will now be activly seaking legal action against this bloke, at thier cost.

email messages from suppliers:-

Below is the mail from Moneybrokers:-

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXX,

This notification email is just a friendly reminder (not a second charge) that on 19 Nov 2011 you made a payment to michael totonchi ([email protected]) via Skrill (Moneybookers) Gateway. This payment for GBP 5.99 made with your credit/debit card AMEX, will appear on your statement shortly. This charge will appear on your card statement as a debit by: MB*Moneybookers.com.
This is just a reminder to help you recognise the charge.

We believe our customers will find this notice useful in confirming otherwise unknown credit/debit card charges.

Sincerely,
The Skrill (Moneybookers) Team

Message from 123-reg.co.uk

Response ([email protected]) 28.11.11 16:59
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on the 23rd November 2011.

I would encourage you and others who have any concerns to contact your local Consumer Direct centre which is the established means of making a complaint of this type.

Consumer Directs regional centres can be contacted on 08454 04 05 06 or via their website www.consumerdirect.gov.uk.
Trading Standards works in partnership with Consumer Direct and if necessary any outstanding issue will be referred to them for intervention who have the legal powers to send take-down notices to hosting providers.

In addition, I have removed the whois privacy for this domain and amended the registration type accordingly, in compliance with Nominet terms as this domain is clearly being used for trading.

Please find the updated whois below for your reference.

Domain name:
rapidmanuals.co.uk

Registrant:
elite manuals

Registrant type:
UK Sole Trader

Registrant's address:
25 grafton road
dagenham
essex
RM8 1PY
United Kingdom

Registrar:
Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 26-Aug-2010
Renewal date: 26-Aug-2012
Last updated: 28-Nov-2011

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns2387.hostgator.com
ns2388.hostgator.com

WHOIS lookup made at 16:58:44 28-Nov-2011

Thanks trickydb9 for the update. I have now removed all the stuff from my hard drive that I copied from the RapidManuals CD's Whatever it was there was a lot of it as it took ages to delete. The SMAC programme that supposedly altered the MAC address did worry me but I was reassured by the instructions that said that the MAC address was not actually being altered but 'spoofed into thinking it was being altered in order to enable the setup.exe to access the data files. After your warning of a possible scam I am regularly checking my bank account details. There has not been any attempt to raid my account as yet. I am looking again at your last reply to figure out what if anything I can do to help stop this phoney repair manual business.

Thanks trickydb9 for the update. I have now removed all the stuff from my hard drive that I copied from the RapidManuals CD's Whatever it was there was a lot of it as it took ages to delete. The SMAC programme that supposedly altered the MAC address did worry me but I was reassured by the instructions that said that the MAC address was not actually being altered but 'spoofed into thinking it was being altered in order to enable the setup.exe to access the data files. After your warning of a possible scam I am regularly checking my bank account details. There has not been any attempt to raid my account as yet. I am looking again at your last reply to figure out what if anything I can do to help stop this phoney repair manual business.

Can I suggest you check your virus software is upto date and you run a full scan. This is excedingly dodgy what has been suggested to you.

If you want to you can report this to consumer direct:-

https://reportfraud.actionfraud.org.uk/fraudreport/

Takes about 20mins.

I aggree with iwaters, do do a complete check of your system and can change passwords etc, do this for online things from a different computer.

Basically I would air on the side of caution. From what you describe the application failed to work/install. Its also HARD work to change your MAC information as its hard coded to your Network Interface Card, also its not just your NIC that needs to be changed, your internet router would have to be, this would then cause your internet connection to fail most likley as the ISP would not know who you are etc. (Though this is just a educated guess)

However I would not be that concered. Just keep an eye out for anything odd.

Thank you trickydb9
Have already done a full virus scan and a spyware scan which revealed some infections but nothing too serious, which were dealt with. I have had no problems with my computer, but I will keep an eye open for anything odd for a while yet. I will also attempt to report this faud via https://reportfraud.actionfraud.org.uk/fraudreport/ as you suggest.

Hi All,

Interestingly, this morning I recieved a refund from moneybrookers. Still no contact from Mr Totonchi.

I am going to leave the fraud case open, (Mainly as I cannot see how to add additional information to it) As I still think many people would just give up with the small amount of money envolved. (I am like a dog with a bone)

So IF you are reading this thread, because you have been caught by this guy, I suggest you follow these steps.

1. Email the contact info in the contact us page of the site in question. Stating that you wish to cancel the oreder for a full refund. Stating you will return any goods already dispatched.

You consumer rights mean that you can do this with no reason with 7 days. (May be longer for online purchases)

2. Contact the finicial organisation you have used to make the purchase such as paypal etc. In my case it was moneybrookers.com. Advise them that you are canceling the order within the 7 days. Ask for them if possible to stop the transaction. Also advise that you beleive that the site is a fraudulant site.

3. Visit the https://reportfraud.actionfraud.org.uk/fraudreport/ and report it.

Basically, if we are going to beat this guy, its about making it harder for him to setup these sites. There are cost to him doing this, if we can make it cost more to set it up that he actually gains, then logic suggests he will stop.

The thing that bugs me the most about all this, is that if this guy put this amount off effort into setting up a legitiamte company, I am sure he would do really well. Go figure!

I will let you know any further developments, and thanks to DIYnot.com and it admin team and users for allowing me to vent myself here.

Right I am off to moneybrookers to find out who actually initiated the refund. Mr Totonchi or moneybrookers, will be interesting to know.

cheers

TB9

trickydb9, you could have found his address without going through all that jazz. You say you are like a dog with a bone and the effort you have put in is comendable to expose this charlatan but if only you'd put in a little more effort into research beforehand you would have saved yourself (and us) all this grief.

Sponsored Links
Back