Rate this work please............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im in the process of having some of the rooms in my house decorated. The longe chimney breast is the first job and was done yesterday by a professional painter and decorator! :eek:

Can you have a look at the photos in MY ALBUM: LOUNGE CHIMNEY BREAST, and comment on the work done (I didnt know how to attach pics to this email)!

I will reserve my judgement until you guys have commented. :evil:

Thanks for any input guys

Sponsored Links
You need comments about the cutting?..it speaks for itself!

Ws the paper one of those paste the wall jobs?..if so they are hard to cut neatly because they are stiff..due to not being soaked like traditional papers.

However there are ways around it.

Was the wall lined before?...the joints are showing badly, a way around it is to paint lines in a matching colour down the wall where the joints will be..or run a bit of paint down the joints after

The pattern isnt ballenced on the breast wall...very difficult with papers that have a pattern that in off centre..it isnt a case of just hanging the paper to a centre line or equally over the centre line as it shows in DIY books..

It seems whoever has done it has fallen foul of some of the nasty problems that are awaiting you with certain papers..but doesnt know how to get around them

That said some of the cutting is bad..

Difficult paper in all fairness..but it could have been better

Sponsored Links
hello lee like i said on the pmes dont always go for the lowest price for a decorator if this is the man off truster trader like you said to me before, I had al ook on there website and spoke to the owner of the company of truster trade as i put my details on there because i thought it was free to join but anyway geting back to what i was saying on truster trade you said he had 5 good feedback how that works on there is truster trade get 5 feedback from the painters customers but that dont mean the man gave his moms number to them his dads number to them sister number and so on to get the feedback he wanted.

For the wallpapering it is not good at all it is hard to cut around the fire place dont get me wrong but the cuting up the wall is not on at all. If i was you i would not pay for that. You still letting him do your stairs and bathroom? From speaking to truster trader before the man told me that if customers are not happy with there work they pay out there own money to get someone to do it correct so get incontact with them if i was you.

hope all turns out well for you carl

Wallpaper was from Homebase - approx 25 pound a roll! The paper felt really soft to me compared to other paper samples we liked, but this is the one we went for (the missus!!)
Im not sure if it was paste the wall or not, but I dont recall reading it anywhere on the instructions?

I thought it might be difficult to cut around the fireplace due to it being soft, so that why I called in a "professional" to do the job!

He has also lined the toilet for me, but there are gaps between the drops of paper (horizontal) and the papaer has not adhered properly around the external corners into the window cut-out!

I will be speaking to him later to ask him to come and have a look at the work he has done to see if he is happy with it, and then I will decide what to do?
It is a bit nerve wracking for a member of the public to question a professionals work and possibly not pay him though - so I am a bit apprehensive!!

I am so dissapointed, and really hoped Id chosen the right guy for the job!

Any further comments are welcome guys

Thanks as always

Carl, thanks for your on-going help, and maybe I'll be in touch!? Justa shame you are so far away!

Rotton position for you to be in Jumbo..but stick to your guns.

And also, remind him/the company he came from about the Sale of goods and services act.

You dont need to get technical..just say to him 'can you explain to me why'...blah de blah..

Out of interest..did he wear white overalls?..its always a good pointer with tradesmen..and women.

Give it a couple of days for the regulars to have a look and then act on it....oviously use any advice here as ammo...but dont go quoting names and websites eh.. :rolleyes:

:)

The cutting is worst I've seen. Housewives do better.
The chimney breast at sideways glance shows whoever put it up has no idea about keeping a pattern symetrical.. tho !!! who put the fireplace in? it's not centre and makes paper look even worse IMO.

He's not a decorator.

:(

know problem lee. with the linning paper if there is gaps you dont need to worry to much about them as they can be filled, thats if he will fill them or not.

It is a shame that people pay for a good job but end up with a job that they could do better there self.

If he is geting gaps in the paper all the time you need to make sure he is sizing the walls with paste first before he put the paper up.

keep us posted on what he says.

all the best carl

ditto the above.

this so called professional has made a mess of some very expensive wallpaper and it will cost you to replace the crappy bits.

Some of the worst cutting I have seen yet!
pro my backside

Everything's rubbish and.........who painted after the paper was "hung".

Thanks for feedback guys.

A couple of replies to your comments................

- the fireplace wasnt fitted by him, and it is perfectly centred, so he cant use that as an excuse - its just the angle of the photo that makes it look off centre!

- Growler - no-one has done any painting after the paper was "hung". Why do you ask?

- What does it mean when you say, "size" the all with paste first?

I tried to talk to him last night but no answer, so I will try again today.

Thanks again for the support and feedback guys, I really do appreciate it!
I really cant bear going in the lounge at the moment 'cos Ive gota look at the mess every time!!!! :( :(

- Growler - no-one has done any painting after the paper was "hung". Why do you ask?
In pic 1 and 3, on the right hand side of the paper, the walls are painted, yet in pic 2, the wall doesn't yet look painted. Also, either you've got white spots on your lens or the paper's been spotted with paint or the "decorator" has caught it revealing the white background.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back