Ravenheat boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a while now my boiler has been running hot water and then going cold after a few minutes then hot again.The boiler then just stopped working so we called a local plumber who said it was the pcb.The plumber laft and about half an hour later the boiler fired up and has been on ever since but I don`t want to turn it off incase it doesn`t come on again. Any suggestions

Sponsored Links
You needed a boiler engineer rather than a plumber.

Its a common tactic to say the PCB has failed if they dont know whats wrong and have no diagnostic skills.

The PCB on your model is about the most reliable there is. It uses Finder relays with chunky silver contacts and they virtually never fail but cost several times the price of cheap ones.

We have had a spare PCB in stock for the last five years and never needed to use it.

Its difficult for me to guess the fault on yours but a sticking pump sounds a possibility.

Tony

I have turned the boiler off now to see if it will fire up again.When the plumber was here he checked the pump and said it was ok

i would not trust a "plumber" who always blames the PCB. They usually follow by saying its not worth repairing and suggest a new boiler!

Just because a pump is working now does not mean its going to be working later.

Dirt in the system can cause pumps to fail to start or to jam when they get hot.

The pump needs to be checked when it has failed to work. There are about 100 other parts in a boiler though.

Tony

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice.I have been back up to the boiler and its all fired up and I have hot water.Do you suggest that I get this cheched by a boiler engineer.

If its working leave it until it fails.

Its very difficult to identify intermittent faults when its working.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back