Ravenheat csi 85 condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a problem with my condensing boiler, in ch mode the pump starts, aps clicks, fan starts & after 4 secs the pilot lights but the burner does not , after @ 30 secs the pilot warning light comes on. After removing the power and switching back on the same thing happens.It is the same if switched to hw only. I have spoken to the guy who commisioned it for me, but he cannot come out until next week, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
davesmith said:
Hi, I have a problem with my condensing boiler, in ch mode the pump starts, aps clicks, fan starts & after 4 secs the pilot lights but the burner does not , after @ 30 secs the pilot warning light comes on. After removing the power and switching back on the same thing happens.It is the same if switched to hw only. I have spoken to the guy who commisioned it for me, but he cannot come out until next week, I would greatly appreciate any advice.
sounds like the solenoid on gas valve not opening

thanks dfg, the installer thought it would be either the gas valve or ignition unit - is it usual to fail after 18mths?

Sponsored Links
Nice one pv man.

Questioner, just check your gas meter control valve yellow lever is fully on other than that wait for the man to come. He will check gas supply, then voltage at gas valve modureg, if that's OK he'll change gas valve. If it isn't he'll investigate why not.

Cheers chaps, checked the gas supply valve, & it is fully turned, pvman I take it I'm going to need a good sense of humour from now on, whilst keeping the kettle on - 1 for my hot water & 2 for brewing up for the plumber.

If you dont have 230V at the gas valve look out for a dodgy air pressure switch. That will most likely be the problem as they tend to stick. Ravenheat have changed the suppliers for their later versions.
If there is 230V at the gas valve then the gas valve will be the problem
Incidentally they changed the gas valve suppliers for the same reason after honeywell switched their production to China.

Thanks for the advice, the boiler is now working ok at present, it appears to go off when I turn on the hot tap when the burner is not lit for the central heating, if the boiler is on continuous with the room stat turned up th hw is ok. My boiler chap should be out thurs/ fri, so I'm willing to put up with it till then - at least I have hot water .

Thanks agin for your help

Dave

Dave, your last post seems relevant. If it gives hot water when the CH is on, but not without it could be the diaphragm is split in the diverter valve. You may find there is hot water, but its temperature will drop off severely at higher flow rates. This is because the diaphragm is not moving far enough to operate the DHW activation switch on its own, but just enough to divert some boiler water to the secondary (DHW) heat exchanger.

That's assuming it's an 820/20 model? :confused:

thanks meldrews mate, it could well be a split in the diaphram, but quite often when I turn on the hw tap with the burner not firing the heating the pilot warning light comes on & I have to turn off the power supply to the boiler - on sat it would not light at all on either hw only mode or hw & ch mode, but on sunday it lit fine.So I've taken to keeping the heating on continous & turn up the room stat to fire the boiler before I pull off any hw, that seems to work ok. All it says on the manual is "condensing ranned combi csi 85a- csi85at , it runs on natural gas ( when it wants to ).

thanks again.

An update, my heating engineer arrived today & as is life, boilers & women worked fine - ie got hot whenever called for ! After discussion the gas pressure was checked at source and after the gas valve all ok the " piston" on the diverter valve was lubed & I hope, kneel, face east & pray I will not have my own relief valve frozen when i stand under the shower in the morning.

thanks again for the advice, great forum.

dave

An update, my heating engineer arrived today & as is life, boilers & women worked fine - ie got hot whenever called for ! After discussion the gas pressure was checked at source and after the gas valve all ok the " piston" on the diverter valve was lubed & I hope, kneel, face east & pray I will not have my own relief valve frozen when i stand under the shower in the morning.

thanks again for the advice, great forum.

dave

Hi everyone

Sorry to do this and bring back a thread from years ago but my gf has had a similiar with her Ravenheat csi 85a so much so its become a constant issue for the last 3 months.

The central heating part intially worked fine but the water went through phases of working and then stopping. Switching the boiler on and off again *via mains* would temporarily give hot water however the bottom of the 3 lights (not sure of its actual function) comes back on and no hot water.

3rd plumber came today to try to fix it (he replaced a part that looks similiar to a small motor that has a disc that is supposed to rotate freely) and said that should fix it. Tonight, central heating and hot water have gone off completely with the warning light back on.

Any ideas what part needs replacing?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back