Ravenheat csi85t keeps cutting out! Dodgy install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw this high efficiency combi boiler in a B&Q sale and had to stick in me basket. It's been installed on an existing 1 pipe system well within it's capacity. I can't get hold of the installer which leaves me with no manufacturers warrentee and the following problems:

Turn the heating on and it will light up, nice blue flame, heat all the radiators in the house pretty fast. After 5 or 10 minutes it will shut off and the overheat/flame fail light will come on and stay on until the boiler is reset. Then it will come on for another minute and then do same thing.

Hot water is a strange one - as soon as you demand hot water it will provide ok but when you stop the demand the same overheat/flame fail light will come on. It doesn't matter whether the demand is for 10 seconds or 15 minutes to fill a bath as soon as you turn the hot water off the boiler will need resetting. any advice?

Sponsored Links
What's the make/model of the boiler? Mine's doing a very similar thing but I've got an unusual boiler so I wondered if there's a common problem/part that could be causing it....

Sorry, just read the title of your post - ignore me!!
Still curious as to what's causing the problem though if anyone's got any pointers!

Sponsored Links
thanks Kev, there is definately no bypass on the system.

Is there an easy way plumbing 1 in? Can you go into the shop and buy a bypass or is it a number of components along loop connecting the flow and return pipes?

going by the drawing it's 2 x 22 22 15 tees a bit of 15 pipe and a 1/2"" gate valve

you can also get an auto bypass valve ;)

p1725995_l.jpg

nice one. ok i'll fit one of these and plumb the bathroom radiator boiler side to act as a heatsink to stop the critter overheating all the time.

Just 1 thing.. how does the bypass help with the hot water problem? The boiler cuts out even if there's no central heating on.

There is something odd here!

The installer has left you with "no guarantee". That would only happen if he was not CORGI registered and did not complete the Benchmark Certificate.

Now how do you come to have an "installer" who is apparently not CORGI registered and uncontactable? Was he a cowboy who ripped you off?

Tony Glazier

Tony, your absolutely correct. What can I say? It was Christmas. We needed heat. British Gas wanted 5 grand he wanted a few hundred quid - simple math. Didn't realise about the Corgi thing until it was too late. Pay peanuts get monkeys scenario I think.

Thanks for all the replies the've been a great help. Going to get this bypass put in today - hope it will sort the problems.
cheers
Luke

Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe

Ravenheat are one of the few manufacturers who are quite insistant that their boilers are installed by CORGI registered engineers. Very correctly in my view!

Your problem may well be due to a fault in the boiler. Unfortunately you will be unlikely to be able to tell unless the problem has been diagnosed by a competent engineer. In that case then Ravenheat will still honour the guaranty if anything has really failed.

One of the areas you will probably have problems in the future is the water treatment which the cowboy will not have done.

Expect to pay about £85 for a proper diagnosis of the problem and advice on what needs to be done. This price level could well include proper commissioning and filling in the Benchmark Certificate which would then give you full guaranty benefits.

Tony Glazier

OK bypass is now installed but still got the same problem as before. It's as if the boiler has no control of itself - just heats up the water until it overheats! must be a faulty stat somewhere maybe but it's definately beyond my meagre skills. need an engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back