Ravenheat csi85t keeps cutting out! Dodgy install?

U might of saved a lot of money getting it installed but i think u need to spend a bit getting it checked before u try to fix it yaself.

Sponsored Links
don't like to give up easily but on this occassion ive gone as far as I can with it. It's definately the last Ravenheat I buy. Hope the engineer can do something with it next week.

Really don't need this hassle as baby due in 8 weeks and house is a sea of devistation.

Luker8 said:
don't like to give up easily but on this occassion ive gone as far as I can with it. It's definately the last Ravenheat I buy. Hope the engineer can do something with it next week.

Really don't need this hassle as baby due in 8 weeks and house is a sea of devistation.

If the boiler has been fitted correctly Ravenheat should still honour the guarantee. Call them and see what happens.

Dont fall for the 'Lada mentality' Remember a lot of Russians drove a lot of Ladas for a lot of years.

For HW demand with CH off. Does the boiler switch off as soon as HW tap is turned off?

Sponsored Links
just filling the bath as I speak - no CH on. It;s never stopped pumping out HW mid demand. As soon as i turn the HW tap off the boiler will need resetting if i want more HW.

Can you read my post again. I know that the boiler is shutting down at the end of the demand.

If your boiler does not switch off when HW demand is finished, of course the boiler is going to lock out. That is why the controls are in place- to control the boiler. So, at the end of HW demand, when you stop drawing HW, do the burners go out within a second? What is the boiler temperature when you are drawing HW?

when i stop drawing HW the burners cut out straight away, as they should, then about 5 seconds later the warning light will come one and boiler will need resetting. Not sure of the boiler temperature.

I would look at the manual to see if the pump is supposed to keep running to remove haet from the boiler.

Residual heat in the combustion chamber may be the cause of boiler going to lockout.

I may be necessary to take temperature reading to rule out sensor defects.

8) these sort of problems are very often caused by the failure to flush the system out at installation. especially by cowboys.

had a proper corgi plummer round to have a look. It didn't seem like he had too many complaints but slight rectification needed. Said the boiler had a manufacturers fault. His firm had just completed installing 120 of them on a new housing estate and about 10 had problems. Ravenheat came out and fixed them and they've been ok since.

Need to get the boiler commissioned/benchmarked then they will call the manufacturer to fix. The quote should come in today.

Sent the last lot packing they wanted £450 to rectify. The boiler only cost me that! anyway...

Finally got a decent engineer on this problem. It turns out to be a simple cost free!!!! solution.

The little hose coming off the air pressure switch was too long and had a kink in it. It caused the boiler to think there was no flame hence the lockout. No faulty stats, plumming, pump, flue, bypass, pipe girth, or any of that.

The baby's fully engaged and due in 2 weeks - nothing like leaving it to the last minute ey! Thanks for all the positive advice. Luke :D

"""Finally got a decent engineer on this problem. It turns out to be a simple cost free!!!! solution."""

I hope you paid him for his help !

I am pleased that it was something quite minor.

Dont be put off by some of the comments above. The Ravenheat boilers are perfectly good boilers at the lower end of the price range but IF they are properly installed then they are perfectly serviceable.

On a one pipe system the auto bypass will need to be set to a higher setting which can be quite critical.

Tony

Why is a by-pass necessary?

My daughter happens to have a Ravenheat boiler.
Every radiator except the bathroom has a thermostat valve.

The bathroom rad is permantly on and not easy to turn off.
It is also quite close to the boiler so surely functions as a bypass.

It caused the boiler to think there was no flame hence the lockout.
If that were the whole story the boiler wouldn't have worked at all.

Bypass is for 1 or both of 2 main reasons
- to let water circulate so it can monitor its own temperature and control it (Otherwise part of the boiler could be hotter than the temp sensor.) This is the case where all trv's are shut, as in a 2 pipe system there would be no flow.
- to dump excess heat when the demand stops and the boiler is still hot.

hi, sorry i cant help but just to let you know i did the same thing as you by getting someone who wasn't CORGI registered on the cheap. that was a bad idea because he didn't flush the system with a flushing agent which must be done (on just replacement boilers or totally new install of central heating). this resulted in blockages in the system so the boiler would start up fine but ater a while shut down, this happened on both the hot water and heating. my boiler is also a ravenheat but is the little star (LS 80T) these are cheap and nasty boilers.

did the man who fitted your boiler flush the system?
take a look at the CORGI/benchmark form that should be completed by the installer it asks what type of flushing and inhibiter agent was used
Take a look at my post from a few days ago titled " RAVENHEAT LITTLE STAR (NOT APTLY NAMED)"
Good Luck and let us know how you get on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back