Ravenheat silver star ls100 combi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice please.............

I have had a few problems with this boiler for the last year in that the DHW is only hot when it feels like it sometimes when you switch it off and on again you get hot water no probs, however the heating was never an issue always worked nice and hot never failed to fire up.
Yesterday nothing! no hot water, no heating boiler not firing up at all and after a few clicks all I get is the Flame light on. I have had a look around with the cover off but cant see a lot other than the clear plastic seal around where the gas inlet pip into the sealed chamber is creased and split open. There are two of these one on each side, is this going to cause the problem or is it likely to be something else as I understand it is a room sealed system. I can feel that the pump also starts but not sure about the fan would this be fairly audible ?

Sponsored Links
Put your ear on the case, you should hear the pump start and also the fan. Do you have any lights on the front?
There are only the 2 lights Power which is lit and the flame light which is unlit until about 15/20 secs or so after switching on then shows red. I can definitely hear the pump not sure about the fan though or spark ignition (my hearings not too good). You hear various clicks and things as it goes through the process. Someone told me the overheat stat on the CH side (right hand) go faulty so I ordered one just in case should be here tomorrow.

Thats the flame failure light showing up there.
The boiler failed to light within a prescribed time limit or number of attempts.
If I was looking at it my first suspects would be:-
Seized or slow moving fan.
Fan relay on pcb faulty.

Sponsored Links
Thats the flame failure light showing up there.
The boiler failed to light within a prescribed time limit or number of attempts.
If I was looking at it my first suspects would be:-
Seized or slow moving fan.
Fan relay on pcb faulty.

Thanks for that Slugbabydotcom I've not had time to look any further yet, but if it happens to be the fan relay is that replaceable or repairable.
I hope to be able to have a better look at it Thursday got the overheat stat so will replace that as a matter of course now.

check for power to the fan, usually via the air pressure switch (common or NC terminals - check both) - check the fan is free and check resistance of the coil/windings.

check for power to the fan, usually via the air pressure switch (common or NC terminals - check both) - check the fan is free and check resistance of the coil/windings.

OK guys replaced overheat stat and thermistor ch nothing!, Steven I have put a ac tester and seems that there is no live feed to either of the 2 wires to the air pressure sensor which I presume there should be????? Non of the Blue or Brown wires on the fan have power either. If I do a continuity test across the white and blue through the air pressure switch there is continuity across the switch when you suck on the pipe.
The boiler when switched on engages the pump and clicks a couple of times but no attempt to ignite at the electrode and no fan.

with no power to the air pressure switch / fan I'd suspect PCB wa faulty - relay on board may be fauly as suggested before

with no power to the air pressure switch / fan I'd suspect PCB wa faulty - relay on board may be fauly as suggested before
Is the relay replaceable or is it a full replacement pcb, I just noticed the water pressure gauge is reading at a fraction over 3 bar would that have anything to do with these problems.??????

How much do you think I could get a decent new boiler straight replacement done for these days if this one is not viable to repair anyone any ideas, it would just be a straight replacement no rads etc

to the original poster: what CLICKS do you hear when the boiler starts up? Ignition sparking clicks?

Sounds like a board fault if there's no power to the fan or pressure switch as mentioned.

To: Slugbabydotcom/STevenJames125 or others: If the PCB RELAY was faulty - how would you know just by looking bat it though?

to the original poster: what CLICKS do you hear when the boiler starts up? Ignition sparking clicks?

Sounds like a board fault if there's no power to the fan or pressure switch as mentioned.

To: Slugbabydotcom/STevenJames125 or others: If the PCB RELAY was faulty - how would you know just by looking bat it though?
No there are no ignition sparking clicks. But 2 fairly audible clicks that sound like relay type more Possibly from the board I thinks rather than the gasvalve.

When I put the ac tester across the fan connections there is a very very small movement of the needle on start up though not enough to register anything, don't know whether that means anything.

Just a thought could it be the diverter valve causing this??.

Looking very much like a new boiler swap by the minute here guys anybody got any idea how much that's likely to be roughly. Its begining to really **** me off now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back