Ravenheat - Various symptoms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy I lodge with oop in the smoke had a new Ravenheat and indeed a complete new heating system fitted about 18 months ago. So while it's undoubtedly a proverbial brown smelly thing it's still quite a fresh one :D

I have no idea what specific model it is, there's no obvious plate on it anywhere. Just a single rotary control labelled condensing control. I believe it to be a 30KW model sourced from B&(spit)Q by the house owner which is totally OTT for his 2 bed mid terrace running 6 radiators :!: He chose it and was convinced bigger is better :rolleyes: I does not modulate that I have ever heard and there's nothing to look at to see if it does. All rads bar one are fitted with TRVs, the system is completely open vent and runs a "traditional" open vent hot water cylinder upstairs with a cold cistern and F&E tank in the loft. There's a temperature stat on the cylinder and a roomstat in the kitchen/lounge where the non TRV rad also lives. A 3 port motorized valve along with the pump lives on the first floor with the hot cylinder

Symptoms are :-
1) Kettling (I think). From new it as always exhibited what I thought was kettling. Boiler runs for about 30 seconds then starts to make a sort of hissing noise. Last week I have been wondering if it is actually a bad bearing in the fan as it stops very instantly when the boiler shuts down
The boiler then shuts down and begins symptom 2

2) Short cycling. Again it's done this from being a fresh new install. On first demand for DHW it runs for maybe 1-2 minutes. Then any CH or continued DHW demand the boiler burns for maybe 20-30 secs, goes off for 20-30secs, burns 20-30 secs etc etc etc
A "holding the flow and return" temp survey reveals little difference betwen flow and return, both being quite hot but not unberable

3) A new and serious symptom. Boiller ignites with quite a whoomp. I know this means that a service is due (so far unserviced)!!! and I have told him as much. However, apparently it's just fine as is and it will not get one until it stops working. I've argued the point that it will be too late if it stops working with a big bang but hey it's his call . I'm not going to do anything other than call him an idiot for leaving it running like that

i have never felt the installer had it set up right. 1 & 2 have always made me suspect this and a mix of endfeed and compression fittings on the 15mm :!: gas connection makes me question the quality of the install. He was CORGI though and all the required benchmarks and certs are in place. I know that the owner chose the wrong boiler make and I suspect size. I assume the boiler is too powerful for the system but also assume that the installer should have adjusted the output via burner setup??

I managed to decrease 1) and 2) about a year ago by turning the pump from min to mid speed and the "condensing control" from max to mid but it seems to be slowly getting worse. As far as I can tell the pump is fine (max speed setting makes no additional difference to teh symptoms), and the 3 port seems to be doing all the right things. Water and CH all get hot as expected

Sponsored Links
Firstly as you are a lodger it MUST be serviced and inspected annually and the property MUST have a current landlord certificate for all gas appliances.

I would suspect that the boiler and heating system have never been commissioned and set up properly. Was it installed by a reputable CORGI or your mate :rolleyes: :?: Sounds like a lack of circulation somehow. This should have been reported to Ravenheat under warranty :eek:

I would insist that he gets a CORGI engineer around asap to sort it out as otherwise he is breaking the law whilst you are his lodger.

Does someone who has someone "lodging" in their house require a landlords cert???

I have never heard of that one.

Are you sure.

Yes. In the eyes of the law they are a 'tenant' and must be protected by a landlord certificate.

Sponsored Links
Ooooh, that's a new one on me too. Still, as an ex landlord I can see where you're coming from and giving it some thought I'm certain you'd be correct on that. A tennant is a tennant regardless of whether the landlord is onsite or not

However, he is a mate so I can't really force him to get a LGSC. He'd probably just give me the boot which would be inconvenient. I've already told him he's a tw@ for not getting it serviced especially when it's clearly distressed.

It was installed and comissioned by a CORGI guy. I don't know about reputable - he came from the yellow pages and as I said certain things about the install make me question the job after all the info I have read here - especially on gas supply pipe sizes. My mate hung the rads on the wall and ran about 3 CH pipes before he got fed up and handed it over to the supposed pro.
However the gas supply is run in 15mm for at least 6M into the old connection for the Hot Air/water setup and it's at least another 5M from there to the meter. From all the info I've seen here this is going to be well undersized and I suggested he report this back to CORGI and take advantage of the survey/enforced correction policy. Again his attitude is that it's all fine and I can't seem to convince him that a loud ignition woooomf, kettling and rapid cycling isn't what most people would call just fine

I don't know how well comissioning was done. Apparently the benchmark and Corgi registration papers are all present for the install. Whether they are correct is anyone's guess as the system was comissioned while the owner and I were at our own day jobs :LOL:

fumbduck said:
A tennant is a tennant regardless of whether the landlord is onsite or not

Or even a tenant !!! ( spelling! )

If there is a Benchmark then the installer is ostensibly a genuine CORGI engineer and the gas safety issues are expected to be correct.

A Landlords Gas Safety Certificate is not required for 12 months after the installation if it was correctly fitted by a CORGI.

I suggest you get your friend to have the boiler professionally repaired and checked for your own safety and comfort.

The law says that if you are a tenant ( one "n" ) then a certificate is required. Even if you dont pay rent!

Tony

Agile said:
Or even a tenant !!! ( spelling! )

Agile said:
If there is a Benchmark then the installer is obstensibly a genuine CORGI engineer and the gas safety issues are expected to be correct.

:idea:

images
images

Ravenheats fitted in accordance with their T&C's since September 2005 have a three year guarantee.

However the gas supply is run in 15mm for at least 6M
So its not fitted in accordance with their T&C's then.

At a guess the guy who fitted it never flushed the system, fitted a bypass or folowed the commissioning procedure properly either.

I dont know if your landlord payed peanuts but it does seem as though he got a monkey! Ask him to consult the trading standards department for advice.

If he doesn't do anything about it within a reasonable time then If you enquire with your local council they should be able to get things moving. I frequently get calls from landlords who always seem to be in a state of panic when the council get on their case. [I find that this is the best time to remind them about any outstanding invoices.]

They will also offer advice on your tenancy with regards to eviction should you need it. If he does not follow eviction procedures he can be liable to court action.

I don't think he paid peanuts but neither was it expensive. If memory serves it was around 1800 , about middle of the field. I think he just got a wrongun. As kevplumb would say, something et the front lawn grass :D :D

I'll probably just remind my mate of the idiocy of leaving the system unserviced and clearly ill. Turns out my current contract has been terminated so I'm back home as of next week :( :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back