rcd and earth loop test.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

is it ok to perform rcd and earth loop test on an rcd socket outlet (spurred from cooker point) that is connected to a board that has 3 ring mains supplying computers and UPS, board has lighting circuits aswell

by this i mean, can any damage occur to the computers or UPS by testing what is in affect the cooker circuit as the ring circuits will be under load.

the ring mains or anything else on the board arent rcd protected.

Sponsored Links
DOing EFLI and RCD tests should not damage connected equipment, its Insulation Resistance tests that you need to look out for. I would always do testing with computer equipment turned off, just in case of a fuse tripping.

Not sure I like the idea of this socket being spurred off a cooker circuit. Its only just acceptable provided the cable used for the spur is the same size as the cable in the cooker circuit (eg 6mm or 10mm)

BTW, if this is a domestic premises the sockets should be RCD protected but then you'll probably get nuisance tripping because of earth leakage currents from all that IT stuff.

TTC

Agree there shouldn't be a problem, since EFLI and RCD only affect the circuit being tested.
Any sockets that can supply accessories that can be used outdoors should be RCD protected - generally this means at least your sockets downstairs.

Sponsored Links
DavePrior said:
Agree there shouldn't be a problem, since EFLI and RCD only affect the circuit being tested.

Dave, Dave, Dave... a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Talk to your uncle Ding... to whom you owe copious beers! :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back