RCD/Earth query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter in law has an older Wylex CU originally fitted with cartridge fuses and later converted to plug in Mcb's. The local Council fitted a 9.5amp shower for the previous home owners who were disabled. As there was no more slots available, they installed a separate 45 amp RCD externally connected to a 45amp MCB in the unit. The L and N from the unit is connected to the RCD and thence to the shower. However I notice there is no earth connection as far as the shower installation is concerned, the earth wires having been severed. Can anyone confirm if this is correct as the shower manual states that the shower MUST be earthed. I assume the Council would know what they are doing but I am curious to know why no earth connection ?

Sponsored Links
Rapporman said:
I assume the Council would know what they are doing

:LOL:

If the shower manual says it must be earthed then it must be earthed. If it isn't earthed then it isn't ok.

Where have you checked for an earth connection? At the shower, isolation switch or at the CU? Where has the earth connection been severed?

Many thanks Crafty. If nobody else replies in the meantime, I will have a go when I see my D in Law next and will come back to you.

Sponsored Links
You've got the Wylex External RCD unit? Very rare and expensive! I think it was discontinued within the last year.

We'd love a photo!

Note: If it is one of these (part no RXF or something like that) the earth does not go through the RCD unit which is external to the CU; the connections come out of the CU, into the RCD, back into the CU, and the circuit is fed out of the CU and should include the usual earth.

I'm a QS Sparkie for a council and we do a similar method but does remain earthed.

We regularly have to install RCD enclosures beside CU to meet the current standards. This is commonly done because the council will do the economical minimum to meet and greet the standards they have to meet to.

We install the enclosure beside the CU, pull the load cables from the mcb and fit them to the RCD, then wack some 6.0mm between the MCB and RCD. Now the RCD only needs Live & Neutral to operate and so the Earth is left in the CU and is often not put into the RCD enclosure.. (although I keep suggesting they do)

If there is no supply earth to the shower, then I would reconnect it regardless as to wether it's class 2 or not.

Shouldn't all conductors of the ring terminate in the same place? Not sure about using a radial feed off the breaker to feed a ring.

As long as C.C.C. is accounted for, and the distribution is local then Mr NICEIC man is happy ;)

Many thanks all of you and especially Widdler for putting my mind at rest and I shall certainly reconnect the earth to the CU. John D - the external unit is a Legrand but I dont think three 10mm tails would have gone into the older live CU oriface which probably explains why it was wired up externally in its present manner.

Once again many thanks all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back