RCD keep tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
The old consumer unit has packed up and I replaced with a new modern one, it Volex 10 ways Dual l RCD protected (5+5). The light circuit is working O.K. but as soon as I connect the downstairs socket ring or the electric shower both RCD trip,. I believe there is an earth leakage. Hence I connected only the shower which has only 10mm wire going from the consumer unit to the shower and checked that the wires are correctly connected at both ends, i.e. earth to earth, Live to live and natural to neutral to eliminate the earth leakage possibility. The above test is simpler then any of the ring sockets as it is a single wire going all the way from the consumer unit to the shower switch then to the shower. But both RCD keep tripping.
Any idea helps please

Sponsored Links
:eek: Whoops !

What made you think that your existing 'fusebox' etc was 'broken' ? Did you have problems before you installed a new C/U?

Did you, personally install the C/U ?

Did the testing and inspection go ok ?

Ed

If you post a copy of your schedule of inspections and a pic of the inside of the CU then we should be able to point you in the right direction..

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the speedy reply,
I installed the new C/U
I can not remember the old unit name, but when I went to my local R+H asking for the main Switch for it (which was the faulty part) they say forget, it is obsolete.
All I have done is to connect like by like, i.e.

The house lighting with boiler on 6A no earth test alone, the RCDs do not trip
Upstairs ring on 32A, earth connected, test alone RCDs trip
Down stair ring on 32A, earth connected, test alone RCDs trip
Kitchen socket on 32A, earth connected, test alone RCDs trip
Shower on 45A, earth connected, test alone RCDs trip

As soon as I connect any ring with earth both RCD trip.

Sponsored Links
Both RCDs tripping smells of the circuit being connected phase for one of the RCDs and neutral to neutral rail for the other RCD.

I hope you pre-notified this with your local council (Part P)!! If not then you have broken the law, and will have trouble selling your house when the time comes..

But to help you out and get you electric working, take a photo of the inside of the CU and post it up here... then someone might be able to help you out.

Nozspark,
I am trying to get hold of electrician with not Joy, however, thanks for the advice, even if I sort it out with your help guys I will get electrician to certify it.

Hello Alsudane,
Not to put the dampers on things but....

Do you know your 'supply type' TT, TNS etc ?

I understand that posting a picture here might be able to show us where the problem is, but we cannot really advise you because we cant be sure the the circuits are 'safe' to turn on, unless that is you have your test and insp results, which I dont think you do.

Being as it's getting dark I don't suggest that you start poking about in your c/u tonight unless you have a test meter and a decent non mains powered worklights. You wont to be be doing any 'live' testing yet.

Sorry

Ed

Inside the C/U ;-
The meter tails (live and natural) connected to the top of main switch on the left, and there are two live connected from the live of the main switch (at the bottom) to each RDC which in turn feed the breakers. And two neutrals wires at the bottom of the main switch connected to each RCD. Then one blue (natural is connected from each RCD to the neutral bar of the C/U.

How many neutral bars?

Clue: There is one for each RCD plus one for the non-RCD circuits (if there are any)

I suspect the neutrals for the circuits you are having trouble with are connected to the wrong RCD.

There are two neutral bars each connected to RCD there is no neutral bar for the non RCD according to the C/U design, every connection has to go through one of the RCDs

So the RCDs have been connected to different neutral bars?

And you have connected the circuits in question to the correct RCDs?

Post a picture up so we can see what you've done.

Steve, many thanks for your help,
Yes, each RCD connected to its neutral bar
Yes I connected each circuit to correct RCD i.e. the circuit that connected to the live of the RCD goes to the neutral of the same RCD

Can someone tell me how to load a picture please? I am not able to copy and paste a picture or load

thanks to all of you who helped, the problem has new be clarified, one of the neutral was connected to the wrong side (neutral) of the RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back