RCD FCU price difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at the availability of RCD FCUs shows that the 'Powerbreaker' make is nearly three times the price of the cheaper model.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ge/RCD_Protected_Range_2/index.html#KBRCD6000

Anyone got an opinion if it's worth the extra, or is the cheaper one good enough?

Realise that some are latching whilst other are non-latching, but can't see that as being important. Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
I'm with Simon on this one. I thought it was my bad luck as i had a few fail on me - I stopped usiing them a while ago as I don't like to go back to fix things.

I also found

Not tripping when the test button is pressed.

Buzzing when the test button is pressed.

Buzzing when the test button isn't pressed.

Exploding when the test button is pressed.

I never did have one

Exploding when the test button isn't pressed.

I think we may have answered your question SNM?

Before the days of RCBOs, I got a carton of Powerbreaker RCD sockets, and I and my neighbour fitted them in our garages, and I put one in my old mum's house for the lawnmower.

One was DOA (makers sent me a new one, no questions asked) and two of mine later failed RCD test (one failed to trip, one failed to reset) and in my mum's an internal plastic part broke.

So I don't think they're a good make.

IIRC I got mum a Crabtree which seemed better.

Sponsored Links
I have installed a few BG units and had no problem with them and they are not expensive.

Kind Regards,

DS

I have had RCD on the consumer unit since around 1992 so never used FCU or Sockets with RCD's built in expect one metal clad 10 mA and I found the test button also tripped the 30 mA trip.

Not looking good.

Been asked to put a few in for Christmas lighting. The guy doesn't want to be bothered with any alterations to the CU, so not sure what to do now.

Odd that they're still on the market considering they've been around for years.

I did actually put a few in my parent's house some years ago, and as far as I'm aware, they never caused any problems. Having said that, I didn't have an RCD tester at the time.

RCDs come with a button marked "test" and an instruction to do so every 90 days. That should give some indication of the manufacturer's faith in their product.

Anyone got an opinion if it's worth the extra, or is the cheaper one good enough?
http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Products/WD/logicplus/conectionunits/RCDCU/Pages/K385WHI.aspx

Realise that some are latching whilst other are non-latching, but can't see that as being important. Or am I missing something?
It could be important if you need one sort but fit the other.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Accessories/RcdSockets/RcdSockets.htm

What's going to be supplied by the FCU?

Not looking good. Been asked to put a few in for Christmas lighting. The guy doesn't want to be bothered with any alterations to the CU, so not sure what to do now.
A few? How much Christmas lighting are we talking about?! If you're concerned about RCD FCUs, what about sockets and plug-in RCD adaptors - which are easily removed/replaced?
Odd that they're still on the market considering they've been around for years. I did actually put a few in my parent's house some years ago, and as far as I'm aware, they never caused any problems. Having said that, I didn't have an RCD tester at the time.
Don't forget that you don't see on the 6 o'clock news every day reports about all the airliners that haven't crashed that day, or about all the people who have not been mugged, raped or murdered. Despite the anecdotes you are hearing about, I would imagine that the great majority of RCD FCUs, of all 'reputable' makes, have been in service for years without any problems.

Kind Regards, John

RCDs come with a button marked "test" and an instruction to do so every 90 days. That should give some indication of the manufacturer's faith in their product.
Hmmm. If you look at its manual, your car probably comes with instructions to check its tyres (and various other things) prior to every journey, which would be nearly every day for many people. I think the Highway Code says (or said) much the same. Is that a reflection on the perceived life expectancy of tyres etc.?

Kind Regards, John

It doesn't really matter for Christmas lights (or many other applications). 'Latching' ('active') ones trip in the event of a power cute etc., and so have to be be reset before power is restored to the circuit. That could be valuable/important functionality if, say, power tools are connected to the circuit (which might suddenly come on when power is restored after a 'cut', if one is using a 'passive', non-latching, device) but in the case of lights etc. would really have little more than 'nuisance' value.

Kind Regards, John

No, its expected by the IAM, and the Police that it is the responsibility of the driver to check that his vehicle is roadworthy before every journey.

Its an offence or two to drive if it is not fit.

But how many people do that?
Or test their RCDs every month, or whatever.

Despite the anecdotes you are hearing about, I would imagine that the great majority of RCD FCUs, of all 'reputable' makes, have been in service for years without any problems.
Indeed.

But of those, how many have exhibited no problems because they are OK, and how many because there has never an event where they needed to perform?

The airbags in my car have never had any problems.

... a power cute ...

woman-electrician-1.jpg

:?: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back