rcd indoor sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved home and the new property has double rcd sockets which I want to move, but in the socket it is double wired what should I do

Sponsored Links
Do you mean wired as a ring final circuit ? If so both cables will need to be extended to the new position to retain the ring status. Any connections you do will have to remain accessible unless they are properly crimped or soldered, and the cables will have to remain in a safe zone if no accessory remains to indicate a cable run.

It has 2 sets of wires going to each terminal inside the socket and it is a stand off wall socket which looks ugly, I would prefer normal flush sockets with on/off switches without the rcd, This was put in previously for an older couple for safety, but I have not seen this before with twin wires and would like to change it

not a problem to change, it was common pratice to put RCD sockets wherever there was a likely use of them for outside equipment (lawnmower etc)

Sponsored Links
I just want to replace them because they are only indoor sockets and they stand about 18" off the floor and stick out off the wall, I just want to know if removing one set of cables will be ok for conventional sockets also they only have a test and reset button so the plugs have to be removed each night rather than switching them off

If you press the "Test" button then the socket will switch off (this is how they are supposed to work). This also keeps the mechanism working freely and not getting sticky.

If the sockets are projecting from the wall (surface mounted) you can chase out the wall and fit metal backboxes, recessed into the wall. I recommend you use 35mm backboxes as the thinner 25mm ones are quite cramped and more difficult to use.

If the sockets are on a Ring circuit then you have to connect both sets of wires, or the ring will become unsafe.

RCD sockets give protection from electric shock, which is especially important if they are used with portable appliances outside the house, for example garden tools or working on the car. but also in the event of a fault on anything used indoors, or if e.g. a pet or child chews a flex. More modern electrical installations in houses give RCD protection to almost everything.

If I have 2 plugs in and press the test button it trips at the consumer unit, surely this cant be right, the plugs are for a phone line and a lamp so its definitely not overloaded, what do you think I should pay to have them looked at or changed cos theyre are too many cowboys about and dont want to end up worse off

can you post a pic of your consumer unit please, with the front window open (don't take the cover off)

it sounds like your electrical installation has been altered since these sockets were fitted.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

p.s. if you are looking for a good local electrician, there are two things you want (both of)

1) is he suitably qualified? there are now legally enforced registers; he must be a member of a Competent Persons Scheme http://www.communities.gov.uk/planningandbuilding/buildingregulations/competentpersonsschemes/ and before you make an appointment, ask him which one he is in, and how long he has been a full member (we all have to learn, but you don't want a beginner). Try http://www.niceic.com/ but there are others.

2) ask around friends and neighbours to see who they recommend and trust. Householders are not usually able to gauge technical skills, so you need (1) as well as (2). Some unqualified handymen can be perfectly charming and popular, but not do a good job.

the unit was put in 3 weeks ago by a qualified electrician but I never mentioned the sockets to him, its a dolmae unit with 3 trips ie lights/sockets/central heating and has a larger test switch to the right

If the sockets were fed from the RCD side of a split load CU, would pushing the socket test button cause the CU RCD to trip first if it's rated lower than the socket RCD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back