RCD not tripping? Mystery power off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The sockets in my garage are all on one ring which has its own MCB and RCD in the Consumer Unit. The sockets have been all working fine until yesterday. Now when I use any of them they all lose power within a few seconds - but I can't see any pattern to it. Sometimes they go off quickly other times after a minute or so. However neither the MCB or the RCD switches off. If I reset the RCD (press the test button and then switch on) then power returns to the sockets. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I'll check the sockets - I'll leave the CU alone tho :whistle:

Sponsored Links
I'll check the sockets - I'll leave the CU alone tho :whistle:
Yes as mentioned in above posts, it is important to safely isolate the installation prior to any work being undertaken.
You must also be aware that when the main isolator at the CU is in the open position/off, that the tails coming into the board are still live. So if it is a sub-board from the main consumer unit/supply, then isolating the origins of the supply to the garage board is recommended.

Then also you mentioned a ring final circuit, it would be rare to loose all power to sockets of a ring final, without the fault being at the board, as it would take a number of faults occurring at the location of both the last leg and first leg socket on the ring. Or a fault between these and the CU.

So firstly I would check that you have power coming to the board, if that is established, then after safe isolation looking at loose/damaged connection at the devices and busbars.
If no power at the board exists, then if there is a primary supply, you will then need to investigate there, again for tripped devices serving the circuit (fuse, MCB, RCD, RCBO, RCCB etc..), then for loose connection again, with the installation safely isolated.

NB: Ring Final Circuits are different to Radial circuits.
If you have a radial circuit? The fault could very likely be at the very first socket on that circuit. A radial does not a have a return leg to the board, so a fault at the first socket or a fault to the power upstream of that, will cause complete power loss on the circuit. A ring final, would require two similar faults.

Last edited:
I think I'll get a sparks in if my checking of the sockets is inconclusive. I don't want to start poking around in the CU -that's well outside my level of expertise

I would assume the RCD is tripping but the lever has not moved enough for you to see it has tripped, first port of call is unplug all you can, and switch off any FCU you have, then only plug things in as you need to use them. See what changes when the power is lost.

Even when stuff is switched off, often the neutral is still connected, unplugging ensures the neutral is also disconnected.

I would assume the RCD is tripping but the lever has not moved enough for you to see it has tripped,

I assumed from the first post that to get them working he presses the test button to trip it then switches back on.
Im sure the Trip button would only work if their is power, well at least the Live passing through the Rcd main switch in the ON position
I wonder if the Neutral out from the RCD is intermittent.

photos might help

with some RCDs, they trip to an intermediate position, and you have to push the switch lever all the way off, then back on.

Old or neglected RCDs may have a sticky action, especially if they have not been kept mobile with the Test button.

But my money's on PrenticeBoyofDerry with a loose connection. It could be overheating and losing contact.

There's definitely power to the CU as there is a lighting circuit also on it and that works no problem

When these sockets "loose" power do the lights also go off. until you "reset" the rcd.

When you press the Trip button and "Reset" the rcd does that turn the lights off whilst you do it..

I think you need to post a picture of the consumer unit, with the Lid on, I think messing with the sockets will be pointless.

I 've unplugged every everything from the sockets and tried each one in turn with a simple lamp. They're all currently working. I'll try to get a picture of the CU and post it here. It's in a bit of an awkward position!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back