rcd protected consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Hi; I would like to replace an old fuse box with a new rcd/c/u. this is only used to supply an o/side security light & a mains supply for an out bldg.(currently run in T & E). A two way c/u would suffice. Also would like to renew, the T&E with swa, i intend to have it checked & passed by an electrician, but trying to save some dosh in the beginning ! what type of c/u could i use which accepts s.w.a & could i use 1.5 s.w.a , as there is only one socket & light in the o/bldg.(providing a 16amp trip is used & a 6amp for the s/light). What distance should the cleats be apart ?. cheers

Moderator note

Please use correct forum

Sponsored Links
Savng money is nt a gd idea wth lectrics. Use 2.5mm S/W/A terminat/d onto a meta/clad c/u. dont jst xpect an lectrician to sign off your wrk - he dsnt ave 2, n afaik, it is illegal 4 him 2 do it.

Missing letters out in words is also not a good idea if you want a swift response to your post. What was the point?

Savng money is nt a gd idea wth lectrics. Use 2.5mm S/W/A terminat/d onto a meta/clad c/u. dont jst xpect an lectrician to sign off your wrk - he dsnt ave 2, n afaik, it is illegal 4 him 2 do it.

Missing letters out in words is also not a good idea if you want a swift response to your post. What was the point?

I expect he's a young person used to text messaging. Us oldies find proper words easier to read.

Sponsored Links
Have you not heard of " ABBREVIATION " you silly sausages ? ;)
surely you won't remove this mr moderator , i have after all been a bit kinder to them this time !!!!! :rolleyes:

What length of run to out building? This plays as huge factor in the decided cable size.

What are your current earthing arrangements?? You say RCD CU, Assume you want to install a 30mA incommer?? Not a good choice really.

Hi lectrician....The run is only 11 mts approx, earthing is bonded to the old fuse box at the moment, would it be prudent to replace the old f/box with a wylex consumer with breakers and then use an rcd socket at the out bldg. :?:

castleman said:
Hi lectrician....The run is only 11 mts approx, earthing is bonded to the old fuse box at the moment, would it be prudent to replace the old f/box with a wylex consumer with breakers and then use an rcd socket at the out bldg. :?:

Use 2.5mm² cable to the outhouse, as i said before. Replace that fuse box with a 4-5way metal CU which will be convenient for terminating SWA onto, and also expandable (and not much more expensive, if at all, than a 2-way). Also, It would be wise to use an RCBO in this CU, just for he socket at the shed - that way, if anyone decides to fit an extra socket on the shed, it too is RCD protected. However, you can do it your way with the RCD at the socket itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back