RCD question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if a RCD trips and needs resetting, is there always a fault/reason why it trips? or can the rcd itself just become faulty?

Thanks for your help again

Sponsored Links
It is possible that the RCD is faulty, however the most likely cause is a fault with the wiring or an appliance.

oh i see, thanks for your help.

i know fuses can blow due to surges and not always because of a wiring/appliance fault - rcd's then only trip if a fault...

to test an rcd you push the hutton in and it must pop out, is that correct?

Yes, pressing the test button should result in the RCD switching off.
However this only tests the mechanism, and won't reveal faults such as not tripping quickly enough or at the correct current.

The fact you don't have main equipotential bonding to the gas supply suggests that a proper inspection and test of the installation is long overdue.

Sponsored Links
sorry I don't have a problem with the rcd tripping i was just enquiring as have read some bits about them and wondered why they tripped etc in general

is it true they trip due to a difference between live and neutral? what exactly does that mean! or due to an earth leakage? again, what exactly is that in laymans?

thnaks that's good information

you know when a fuse blows - you can test an appliance or cable to see if there's a short circuit or can remove that appliance, replace fuse and if doesn't blow again you find the faulty appliance, how do you check for a faulty appliance if it causes a RCD to trip?

how do you check for a faulty appliance if it causes a RCD to trip?

That can be quite tricky if the fault is intermittant. Even if its a constant fault down to earth it could be tricky if its in a washing machine element thats only in circuit for part of the cycle (the same would be true of it was taking out the MCB with a direct short)

Process of elimination, suspecting appliances which use water or have heating elements and sensible use of insulation resisatnce tests

And complicated by the fact that a fault ( neutral to earth ) will trip the RCD when an appliance on any circuit other than the one with the fault but protected by the RCD is switched on.

ok thanks for your help

what exactly is an insulation resistance test? i have heard of polarity, eart continuity and short circuit tests but not insulation resistance.

insulation resistance.

The resistance of the insulation between two conductors which must not touch each other.

If it is too low too much current flows where no current should flow.

An insulation resistance test (AKA Megger) is basically a test of the insulation strength between conductors. The tester puts a voltage down the cable, usually 500vDC and uses this to determine the insulation resistance.

ok thanks - i understand, so basicaly you test between live and neutral, live and earth, neutral and earth and want a very low ohms reading?

ok thanks - i understand, so basicaly you test between live and neutral, live and earth, neutral and earth and want a very low ohms reading?

NO you want a very HIGH ohms reading. HIGH ohms high resistance = low current.

Also you need to test at mains voltage or higher as defective insulation can measure OK at low voltages used my a multimeter as the insulation does not break at low voltage but will break at mains voltage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back