RCD requirements for outside socket

AIUI from the perspective of complying with current BS7671 there are two issues with using RCD sockets.

1. The standard for RCD sockets was not included in the list of acceptable standards for RCDs in BS7671. There have been claims that this was a mistake, but there has been a big f*ckup in the way standards are written and to the best of my knowlege this has not yet been fixed.
2. Concealed cabling has to be either RCD protected, or installed in specific ways (SWA, MICC, Steel conduit etc) that avoid the need for RCD protection. From what you have said earlier it doesn't sound like your cabling is installed in such a manner.

Aren’t RCD sockets and FCUs back in now? (My books are a few hours away)

I seem to remember they were reintroduced into the online version AHEAD of being in the printed version

Sponsored Links
They may well have fixed it while I wasn't looking.

Still leaves the concealed cable issue though.

@plugwash thank you, that's the clarity I needed. So it will be a deviation as concealed cables without mechanical protection require RCD.

There is something about this electrical sub forum that is really frustrating sometimes. Not just me, people ask a simple clear question and get a thread full of all sorts of unnecessary crap.

RCBO tripped twice again today, I think it's their puddle pump which is supposed to be class 2!

It is not an option to use 230 volt tools on a building site, I don't agree with the rule, I think yellow bricks are a fire hazard, but there is no option, all construction site equipment has to be 110 volt.
Not correct. It is merely preferred. 230V with RCD protection is, sadly, permissible.

Sponsored Links
The ball seems to be in the builders court. You have supplied compliant sockets they can use if they want to.
If their equipment is tripping a compliant RCD then it is up to them to sort it by employing an electrician.
They might or might not have an electrician they employ, they can always subcontract one if they wish.
You should not disconnect an RCD from a compliant circuit. It might be worthwhile for you to get an electrician of your own to verify the socket for you.
My understanding is that 110v etc is not compulsory on building sites, however many firms and clubs act as though it is in real life.
I would say that the builders might decide to use their own generator if they wish to. It is up to them to supply and use compliant equipment to do theiir job safely so the crux is - is your socket compliant? And is their equipment and the way they use it compliant? t In short, providing your socket actually is compliant, it is down to them to provide a solution whether they use mains, transformer or genorator

I think it's their puddle pump which is supposed to be class 2!
Class II devices can easily trip an RCD if they are damaged, such as water leaking in.
That's the whole point of using an RCD with such devices - it's the only means of protection against faults between the live parts and the outer environment.

All of this tripping is 100% the builders problem for using defective equipment.
Removing the RCD will result in a dangerous situation in which people are injured or killed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back