RCD socket around the Sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any regulation regarding put RCD socket (or socket with RCBO in the distribution board) around the sink ?. I have the situation such as I want to put socket around the sink, so I could easily connect the hair dryer. The sink alocation is juat about 1.5m from shower cabin.

I mean what is the minimum distance to allow this. If U could guide me which part of IEE wiring regulation apply, it will be very helpful.

THanky ou for your time

Sponsored Links
Which country are you really in?

When you say 'sink' do you really mean basin? (as in bathroom?)

What room is this sink / basin in?

There is a very good reason for sockets not being allowed in the bathroom.

In this case what is someone was innocently using a hairdryer which they then accidentally dropped into a bath with some poor soul in it.

Not good!

Sponsored Links
There is a very good reason for sockets not being allowed in the bathroom.

In this case what is someone was innocently using a hairdryer which they then accidentally dropped into a bath with some poor soul in it.

Not good!

You've been watching those old James Bond films again :LOL:

Of course its possible to drop your hairdryier in the bath if you are foolish in how you use it, and clumsy to boot, its also possible to fall off your ladder if you're daft and clumsy! (or crash your car, set fire to your kitchen...)

Not sure there is much justification in disallowing socket outlets in the bathroom (it works ok in france!), the daft among us would probably just stretch an extension cord across the landing to use it anyway, and that has the dangers of trailing sockets, possible lack of RCD and tripping over the blasted thing and falling down the stairs!

Anyway, not many applicances have a lead longer than 3m... perhaps the writers of the 17th edition still reckon a lot of us are dafter than we look :LOL:

Is there any regulation regarding put RCD socket around the sink?

If you wait till January, you can have an RCD-protected socket in the bathroom, but it will have to be a minimum of 3m from the boundary of Z1.

Dear all

Sorry for not very clear. Indeed it is in shower room with Preinstalled shower cabin. I am trying to put sockets just less then 0.5 from the Wasshbasin/sink but more than 3 meter from the shower. Is this acceptable ?. Is there any IEE wiring regulation that prevent this to happen ? Thank you for your time.

If this is a dedicated shower room (as opposed to a shower installed in a bedroom), then you can't do it and comply with the current version of BS7671.

May I suggest you wait until the new year and then purchase the 17th edition and there is a good chance that it'll permit RCD'd sockets in showerrooms as long as they are 3m away from shower

Big shower room though?

What happens in hairdressers?

Is your hairdressers a location containing a bathtub or shower basin?
They very often have shower units fitted to the wall with a small head only basin underneath for washing peoples hair with. I don't know whether such a setup counts as a shower under the wiring regs.

May I suggest you wait until the new year and then purchase the 17th edition and there is a good chance that it'll permit RCD'd sockets in showerrooms as long as they are 3m away from shower

If you wait till January, you can have an RCD-protected socket in the bathroom, but it will have to be a minimum of 3m from the boundary of Z1.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back