Re-Concreting around manhole cover.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Possibly the wrong word there...

At the end (almost) of my drive, I have a metal drain/manhole cover..the drive is chipping originally, 2 rows of slabs for tyre grip, and then this cover, concreted in on all 4 sides by 6 inches of concrete.

Now, over the years and previous owners, this has degraded badly..the concrete is heavily cracked, and when I drove over it to the other day, part of the corner concrete "surround" flicked up and jammed in the car suspension. Basically, on 2 sides, this manhole cover is bounded now by concrete chunks, not a solid layer. This makes it an utter pain to drive over, as you can imagine...I had to jack the car up to get the thing out last time.

What would people suggest is my best course of action here? Would some ready-mix concrete sort it? If so, would I leave the old "broken" bits in place and pour the concrete over it, or pour new concrete first and bed the damaged bits back down? I'm guessing I'd need to make up a wooden frame to contain the concrete while it sets.

How do the covers usually work? If I poured this readymix in, would it go into the pipework, or do the covers usually go down a fair way to prevent this?

I'll try and get some pictures later..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back