re-connecting a double plug with 3 sets of wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I decided to swap our double plugs with new ones. However one of the double plugs feeds another plug. So there are 3 red/3black and three stripey wires (two of which have been wound together).

The new plug simply has a hole for red/black and stripey my hubby tried that the fuse blew. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
Yeah.. You don't put the reds & blacks into the same hole!

Maybe you need to get in touch with an electrician...

Lets get technical :eek:

Live = L = Red colours or brown if new wiring

Neutral = N = Black or blue if new wiring

Earth = E = bare conductors overshefed with yellow / green sleeve

L and N are always marked on the socket backs. Some makers have the earth connection point as a open bare copper ring, other can have it as an insulated hole marked E.

With the earth there should be a 4th wire, a tail between the metal back box earth point and the faceplate earth. That won't apply if it's a plastic dry liner box.

Please isolate the fuse and better still the whole consumer unit before playing around with something that your post suggests isn't a core skill.

Sponsored Links
The new sockets (plugs :rolleyes: ) will have two insulated terminals (hole :rolleyes: ) marked L & N, the reds go into L and the blacks go into N.

The earth (stripey :rolleyes: ) goes into the uninsulated terminal on the socket.

Is there really any need to be so patronising?

Not everyone is quite so technically minded. Post's like yours are not exactly going to encourage people to keep coming bact to this site are they?

You have a point, but OTOH I think it reasonable to expect people to have learned the difference between plugs and sockets, and what colours are used for live, neutral and earth before they even think of reaching for a screwdriver...

and if you read the actual OPs post, it is actually "er indoors" thats posting because "hubby" did the job.

I never expect "er indoors" to know whats what anyway :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back