Re-doing my lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A very novice gardener here so please be tender :oops:

My lawn suffers bad with weeds and generally looks tired. I am wanting to replace the turf with new turf. What can i do to stop these weeds from coming through. I will obviously be removing the old turf but the weeds quite deep. Is it recommended that I put that weed surpressing cloth down then the law on top of that?. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
may be wrong but i thought weed supressing cloth was meant for you to dig holes in it and plant a flower etc then cover the cloth in decorative material, ie bark, gravel.

how would grass take root with this stuff in the way?

I also belive that if you just lay grass, and dont look after it you will have the same problem in few years, (ok you can get good lawn tennis/ golf grass (may not be what they are called but you understand what i mean)

i think you need to do more reaserch on looking after grass, golf clubs have green keepers and that all they do all day long(well most of the time), is look after the grass

the best way is to dig them out or use a systemic weedkiller on them first. You can use certain fabrics such as plantex which have been designed to be used under turf and new topsoil.

breezer said:
may be wrong but i thought weed supressing cloth was meant for you to dig holes in it and plant a flower etc then cover the cloth in decorative material, ie bark, gravel.

how would grass take root with this stuff in the way?

I also belive that if you just lay grass, and dont look after it you will have the same problem in few years, (ok you can get good lawn tennis/ golf grass (may not be what they are called but you understand what i mean)

As it says on the top of my post..... a very novice gardener! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
the best way is to dig them out or use a systemic weedkiller on them first. You can use certain fabrics such as plantex which have been designed to be used under turf and new topsoil.

Cheers Thermo, do i need to put any special soil under the new turf when I lay it?

we always use sandy loam as thats what most decent turf is grown on. Most turf suppliers will sell it as well

Thermo said:
we always use sandy loam as thats what most decent turf is grown on. Most turf suppliers will sell it as well

once again.. Thanks. I will phone albar landscaping and check that out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back