re-filling a system-AIR LOCKS? !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am doing my house up slowly! and am also thinking about having a towel rad in the bathroom - i will have to alter the pipework and drain the system to at least below first floor level to do this. my question is: when re-filling a system is it very possible to get airlocks? and if so are they easy to rid? i know HOW to drain a system but any tips on re-filling would be very useful and i would be appreictative for any. I have rads on both floors, a pump and a manual air vent tee'd off the primary flow to the HWSV.

Sponsored Links
LB,

Yes it can be easy to get airlocks and there is no real way around it.

Sometimes you can not get any and other times it can take days to get rid of air.

Just fill your system and bleed ground floor rads first then upstairs.
Bleed pump and maual air vent.

If the airlock is still persistant then you could "backfill" system.

Attached hose to drain off and other end to mains pressure tap (kitchen/outside/washing machine) and carefully fill until water comes out of vent pipe over f&e in loft. Best to have 2 people to do this so one can shut of water when it reached f&e.

Rico

Most systems can be emptied refilled with no problems.Only ever had one problem with an air lock took a while to get rid backfilled like last poster said did the trick.If radiator are old black crap coming out renew or flush out .A decent basic system should be ok with no problems .If upstairs turn all rads off and just drain up stairs pipe work .

can anyone recommed a good hose pipe/size to get for draining my system. i have seen a 30 metre and a 50 metre 1/2inch hosepipe on screwfix (yellow colour) - also any other fittings, eg/jubilee clips? if i do have to backfill the system as mentioned (and i have heard of this before but never done it obviously) - what type of fitting would i need to connect the hose to my kitchen mixer spout? are there a variety of tap fittings out there? i might invest in a set as i haven't obviously got one at the moment! thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
Normal hose should fit a standard drain off valve.Jubilee clip if you want never had the need to.I wouldn't worry to much about backfill just yet.Do the job refill and bleed.

ok will do thanks. i'll let ya knw what happens !!!! :) out of interest though are there a variety of heads for hoses to fit on different taps, eg/ 1/2 inch pillars, kitchen mixers, etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back