re inflating tyres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
well its not for a car but i hope someone can help. I have a large petrol wood chipper which has a couple of tyres on it, which are both completley flat. They both have slipped off of the rim and do not have inner tubes. The metal wheel is made of two cones welded together. The problem i have is that i cant seem to get both edges of the tyres to sit on the rims well enough to stop any air i pump in from escaping when i try to reinflate them. Any tips or ideas?

Sponsored Links
What we used to do was put a piece of rope around the circumference of the tyre in the middle and use a piece of wood like a tourniquet. ( think thats right, read as turn a key) As it tightens up the sides will go against the rim and you should be OK. Just be careful for your fingers as the trye pop onto the rim though.

You will probably need an airline rather than a footpump though.

i agree with air line.

number of tyres i have seen fitted, they just put tyre on then attach airline, perhaps its the speed /pressure of air is the reason it works.
Foot pump would be very slow, so not press tyre walls into place

cheers guys i have been using an airline of my compressor, but its not been enough to force the walls back to the rim, but the tourniquet idea sounds good. Now just need to build up my muscles to start the bloody thing (8hp briggs and stratton and it needs a cart horse to start it!)

Sponsored Links
Thermo when you say the compressors hard to start, has it got a pipe on the top of the compressor cylinder head to relieve the pressure in the cylinder? If it hasn't got one it is best to drain the air tank first.

Mind you know what you mean, I used to have a single pot diesel petter gennie. Little Bl**der, you started on one side of the yard and ended up on the other! :LOL:

btw, if your compressor as an adjustable regulator turn it right up to max to give it a bit more umph. And watch them fingers.

no no no the compressor is eay to start, thats a flick of the switch on the electric! Ive been using the compressor to try to inflate the tyres of the wood chipper. thats the bugger to pull start!

So you've never had the joys of recoil start compressors. When the piston stops in compression the bu**ers jam solid, thought thats what you meant. :LOL: :LOL:

worked a treat, got both tyres inflated, and bizarre as it sounds i managed to start it withinn 2 pulls. Must have been the firmer base.
Cheers guys :D

Deffo DJ's rope trick !! Saw that years ago on big tyre -- it worked !!

Make sure the beads are fully against the rims both sides each wheel -- if not then redo -- could deflate suddenly if tyre popps to rim under flexing load when in motion. soapy water helps ;)

Sponsored Links
Back