tyres leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased an old vw golf that has alloy wheels fitted I have found that the tyres was loosing pressure after about two weeks I have found that 3 of them is now not as bad but one in particular needs air every 3 or so days after looking at other posts on the subject and putting some soapy water on the rims I have found that they are leaking around the rim,
Will the spray tyre inflator stuff (not sure what its called) do any good?
How much should it cost to get a fitter to sand and refit the tyre?
Is it possible to deflate the tyre and use some sealant between the tyre and the rim?
Can I remove the tyre myself and sand and seal the rim? (I have good tyre levers and compressor)
Any other suggestions please

Sponsored Links
my neighbour had this happen with the alloys on his range rover.

when he had new tyres fitted, the fitter used a different kind of lubricating seal (not the usual soft soap stuff), and told him it was to prevent this kind of leakage.

I doubt you could fix it without taking the tyres off.

if you want to polish corrosion off the rims, I would use a wire brush head in an electric drill, rather than sanding it. again I would want to take the tyre off or you may get grit or a wire bristle in the tyre.

So could I do this myself, as I would like to spend the time cleaning the rims properly?
Also what should I use to seal the tyre to the rim (and can I get it in a car shop (halfords))etc
Many thanks

sorry I don't know what the product was. if you ring a few tyre shops they should know. The one my neighbour used was not part of a chain, but a family firm that does lots of commercial and unusual work, I once got a used tyre for a vintage car there.

I have polished up alloys with a wire brush and resprayed them, but yours sound like they need it in the well where the tyre seats, and you would probably have to pay a tyre shop to take the tyres off for you first. It is very difficult to take off and put back modern tyres without the pneumatic equipment.

Sponsored Links
its not a golf gti mark 3 with bbs alloys is it? i have to pump my n/s/f up every 2 weeks and the rest every month, its the wheels themselves that leak, the alloy breaks down, i'm saving up for a new set but this is the only way to cure it

Half the tyre fitters around can only fit tyres.... they dont seem to have the brains to forsee a big lump of crud on the seat or rust on the edge of a rim will allow it to leak.
10 seconds with a wire brush... :rolleyes:

If its leaking round edge, a bit of bead-seal will do the trick. Independant tyre shops more likely to be of help. ;) Hard work by hand, especially on an alloy ;)

Back