Re-install Veritas R8 after ripped from wall by burglar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

We were burgled last week, they broke in then ripped both the remote keypad and the internal sounder from the wall (I was told they do this as this will silent the alarm - even if the siren has its own battery).

I am wanting to refit just the keypad to see if it still works. Looks easy enough to install just 4 wires (I have installation manual so not an issue).

My question relates to the internal sounder. Can I just install the keypad and leave the sounder off? Will omitting the internal sounder still allow me to set the alarm once the keypad has been wired back in.

There is one wire going to the keypad but 2 separate wires going to the sounder.

Looking at the sounder it looks to be a sealed element (although it obviously isn’t), I can’t see how the cover comes off the mounting plate.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Open control panel and check what colours have been used for the keypad and now reconnect keypad
Check also what wires are connected to the speaker LS terminals.
Disconnect LS wires from control panel
Now check to see if keypad works.check fuses as they could have blown when ripped off wall.
Your codes should still work.
A new control panel will be same price as replacement keypad,so if keypad fault you would be better of replacing the pcb inside control panel and fit new keypad.
You will get help programming new panel on this site if required

Open control panel and check what colours have been used for the keypad and now reconnect keypad
Check also what wires are connected to the speaker LS terminals.
Disconnect LS wires from control panel
Now check to see if keypad works.check fuses as they could have blown when ripped off wall.
Your codes should still work.
A new control panel will be same price as replacement keypad,so if keypad fault you would be better of replacing the pcb inside control panel and fit new keypad.
You will get help programming new panel on this site if required

Thank you for the reply.

My only concern with removing the panel cover is will this activate the anti-tamper switch and cause the external bell box to sound? If my keypad IS faulty and no longer works after being thrown on the floor I will have no way of turning off the alarm. None of the PIRs seem to be working, so I assume the master fuse has blown? If this is the case, would removing the cover activate the external bell box?

Thanks

The external sounder should be limited to a maximum of 20 mins, if accessible by ladders you could take the panel cover off , nip up the ladders, remove the sounder cover and remove either the battery wire or sounder wire to silence.

Sponsored Links
The main issue when someone rips a keypad off the wall is the power gets shorted and the keypad fuse is normally blown.

The main panel should have a green light on, if its still powered up.

if the speaker/ sounder has been ripped off as long as the cables are not shorted it shouldnt be a problem.

as for connecting the keypad, as menationed you look inside the panel to confirm the wiring, although depending on the state of the wires you are most likely to have red black blue yellow, red and black are power and yellow and blue coms, but there is no guarntee that it was wired that way.

the blue and yellow for the coms T and R may need swapping around if the keypad lights up but doesn't respond...

The main issue when someone rips a keypad off the wall is the power gets shorted and the keypad fuse is normally blown.

if the speaker/ sounder has been ripped off as long as the cables are not shorted it shouldnt be a problem.

as for connecting the keypad, as menationed you look inside the panel to confirm the wiring, although depending on the state of the wires you are most likely to have red black blue yellow, red and black are power and yellow and blue coms, but there is no guarntee that it was wired that way.

the blue and yellow for the coms T and R may need swapping around if the keypad lights up but doesn't respond...

Thanks for the reply.

Main control panel is showing a green light, none of the PIR's are lighting up though. Could this be due to the alarm not being reset? No reason for the PIR fuse to blow.

Hi, No, best way to do this without the MCP lid (master control panel) get some electrical tape and tape over the main MCP tamper spring in corner or old models top to bottom, then power down system battery and mains, then power up you can work now on the system, replace all fuses, it would help if you have a multi meter!, I would get the key pad and with a 1 meter alarm cable connect it to the MCP and work on it in front of you, I would also take out just wire "-ve bell" to stop it going out side while working on it on power down above, now you can check all the system, when done power all down again and re connect key pad and replace bell wire, power up and replace lid it will now be in alarm with tamper, go to keypad and reset. keep in mind not all cables are run in same colors it does not really matter as long as you go from like to like we tend to use red + black -, yellow blue zone, green white tamper, as for sounders + red - black, blue -ve, yellow tamp return, green strobe, white res return neg, orange program re, brown spike suppressor, if you have them on you bell box, but if texecom standard, if it fails rip out and fit a Pryronx

PIR's not lighting up that were previously, then the aux fuse( where your pirs should be getting there power from is shorted or blown), the keypad shouldn't be getting its power from there.

The speaker (connected to LS+ and -) shares the Aux fuse so the speaker being ripped off the wall could potentially blow /short the aux fuse and PIR's not working, this is a speaker rather than a sounder.

glass fuses = blown (could still be shorted), resettable thermal fuses and no power the power is shorted somewhere still, sort the short power will be restored to those devices, the glass fuse may blow again if replaced if the short hasn't been resolved.

I personally wouldn't use tape directly on the tamper spring or board as damage could result, depends on how stuck your tape is seen a few panels damaged with what must have been the stickiest tape ever.

did you get this sorted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back