Re-installing a Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We removed a condemned gas fire and back boiler from our 1890s sandstone semi a fortnight after moving in.
Time has come to "do" that room and we'd like a period feel to the fireplace.

We would like to reinstate as a class1 flue to give the option of solid fuel or a tray type living flame gas fire (probably the latter), using an original cast surround and mantel - which we already have.

Considering the state of the bottom of the bottom of the chimney in general - the gas installer butchered the original fireback and sides - I am thinking a clay fireback, gather and solid fuel liner would be the easiest way to get things back on track.

Reinstate the back hearth,stick in a clay fireback,insulate,gather on top,fire rope between cast and fireback & also between back and superimposed hearths, new superimposed hearth,get somebody in to do the liner,jobs a good 'un?

Or is this indeed the best way for me to proceed?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
DIY in the main, CORGI or whatever they're called these days to fit up the gas obviously.

This side is my main concern (hope the pictures are working, Photobucket doesn't seem to want to play today...
FireplaceRight.jpg

The hole that's left at the moment is cavernous compared to the size of an 18" clay fireback. I'm wondering if I should perhaps close it down to say within six inches or so of the fireback with blockwork. I guess the chimney may be OK, but thought that a new liner may be a safer bet if there's so much rebuilding to be done anyway.

Put the fire back in, and then build the sides with masonry to touch the fire back. Put some corrugated cardboard at the back of the fireback and then fill in around it with a 8/1 vermiculite/cement mix. Flaunch the top at an angle of about 60% with brickwork and lime mortar.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back