Re insulating 1970s timber frame dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am intending on re insulating the timber frame dormer from the inside.
Current insulation was done in 1970s and not up to standard causing damp issues and significant loss to heat.
Question is which side should the vapour barrier be on and should the void be between the plaster board and celotex or between the exterior board and celotex.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The vapour barrier is to keep moisture from outside getting inside. Moisture generated inside should be moderated with ventilation, therefore the vapour barrier that you fit should go directly onto the board. I would then use thin battens to affix the Celotex (which has its own vapour barrier), followed by the plasterboard. You can buy Celotex already bonded to plasterboard. I have used the 25mm + 12.5mm PB =37.5mm overall size and was very impressed with its performance and with the finish. Go as thick as you can unless it starts to block out the light!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back