re-laminate/cover furtniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 5 bathroom mirror units that are exactly the right size / shape that we want in the room. Unfortunately the wood is a rather old melamine and it doesn't quite look right against the new white gloss units used elsewhere in the bathroom.

A long search online does not yield anything that we like as much as these units and I am wondering whether I could take the units to pieces and re-laminate/cover the wooden parts of the units with a new laminate/coating?

Questions are:

1 - How successful can this be?
2 - What is the best material to use for this/where can I find it?
3 - What are the top tips for performing this task.

I am a very competent DIYer and believe that I can learn the task.

Sponsored Links
Continuing the research I have seen a couple of posts and articles about using Vinyl wrap (the 3M stuff used for cars). I appreciate this stuff can be tricky to apply (although I did already vinyl wrap my motorcycle to a high standard) so think this could be an option.

The trick I reckon would be to take the unit completely to pieces, and individually wrap the visible surfaces with a 5mm overlap. I could then put the units back together hiding the overlap areas. This approach would make cutting and performing the wrap a whole lot simpler than what I did on the bike.

I now need to source the stuff.

----I am still interested in normal methods of laminating the wood as this may prove more cost effective and/or yield a higher quality result

Vinyl is widely available and probably a cheaper option.

You can buy laminate sheets (essemtially formica) but these may be expensive and problematic to fit (e.g. cutting and the corners/edges)

Places such as the one below can supply (please note this is only an example supplier - there are more)

B

http://www.topclasscarpentry.com/category/Laminate Sheets/

Vinyl wrap does seem to be yielding better results. Costs of the stuff online does seem to vary wildly. I found this site which seems to be reasonably cost effective. A high gloss sheet is £8.18 per 1m x 1.524m.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back