Re: New Colours

recs said:
It's about time we changed colours, we're only 28 years behind the rest of europe. Maybe this will sort out the cowboys!!!!!!

Only a complete FOOL would make such a statement. We are an Island In the UK, so cable harmonisation has nothing to do with anything other that stupid ignorance.

There are NO reasons for the harmonisation, even the TUV in Germany do not agree with the change, they concluded that the UK could remain as it is and still maintian safety as the UK and European systems are no interlinked..except at transmission levels which do not count.

Sponsored Links
sorry been away from these conversations......

Any-hoos....

Seems that the colour change has been brought in so that a rough time-scale for the installation can be determined for Part "P"....I could be way off and this may have been mentioned before, but I really dont want to read all the comments......

maybe but if doing that it would have been sensible to make the change after introduceing part P

the way it stands you could just claim new code wiring was installed between the introduction of new colors and the introduction of part P

Don't forget that Part P has slipped - if it had gone to plan then the new colours would have come in after it.

But I fear that any conspiracy theory involving the scheduling of colour changes as a covert way to detect Part P violations falls at the first test. There is no way that the IEE and the Govt are competent enough to get that together.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
recs said:
It's about time we changed colours, we're only 28 years behind the rest of europe. Maybe this will sort out the cowboys!!!!!!

Only a complete FOOL would make such a statement. We are an Island In the UK, so cable harmonisation has nothing to do with anything other that stupid ignorance.

There are NO reasons for the harmonisation, even the TUV in Germany do not agree with the change, they concluded that the UK could remain as it is and still maintian safety as the UK and European systems are no interlinked..except at transmission levels which do not count.

In this day and age of free trade and unrestricted work throughout the EU, it makes perfect sense for the colours changes to come in. The colour changes where programmed to be phase in, in two stages, the first of which we had 28 years ago with the introduction of Blue and Brown in domestic appliances, or have we forgotten about that. The changes do not stop there, at the present moment in time, the EU parliment is trying to have the UK adopt the contennental two pin plug in place of the current three pin. Any half decent electrician or engineer will embrace the colour change and welcome the opportunity of working unhindered throughout the EU.
As far as Part P is concerened that is still only a white paper, there have been no definite rulings on what will be included under Part P. At the moment the NICEIC are pressing that unless you are an approved electrician then you will not be able to certify you own work.

recs said:
at the present moment in time, the EU parliment is trying to have the UK adopt the contennental two pin plug in place of the current three pin. Any half decent electrician or engineer will embrace the colour change and welcome the opportunity of working unhindered throughout the EU.
As far as Part P is concerened that is still only a white paper, there have been no definite rulings on what will be included under Part P. At the moment the NICEIC are pressing that unless you are an approved electrician then you will not be able to certify you own work.

hmm
there is no standard plug system accross europe
there is the 2 pin europlug bodge which fits most european sockets (including british if the shutters are opened though i don't advise this because of our 30A rings)

earthed plugs are still very much country specific though

maybe we should wire all our buildings with iecs they are a worldwide standard and a nice safe design ;)

recs said:
In this day and age of free trade and unrestricted work throughout the EU, it makes perfect sense for the colours changes to come in. The colour changes where programmed to be phase in, in two stages, the first of which we had 28 years ago with the introduction of Blue and Brown in domestic appliances, or have we forgotten about that. The changes do not stop there, at the present moment in time, the EU parliment is trying to have the UK adopt the contennental two pin plug in place of the current three pin. Any half decent electrician or engineer will embrace the colour change and welcome the opportunity of working unhindered throughout the EU.

Ah yes, now I understand.

It's so all the immigrants that come to this country from Europe can take all your jobs!

You see, Part P creates a shortage of people able to commence electrical work, and the Government rectify this by swamping the country with european electricians! Electricians that would otherwise be on benefits!

3 birds one stone! A touch of sheer brilliance by the government!!!

:eek: :D :eek: :D

recs said:
The changes do not stop there, at the present moment in time, the EU parliment is trying to have the UK adopt the contennental two pin plug in place of the current three pin.
Is that true, or is it more of the UKIP/Daily Mail type deranged anti-Europe ramblings? Would one of our IEE members like to check with them?

NICEIC aren't "pressing" for that - it's already in the draft Part P.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
It's so all the immigrants that come to this country from Europe can take all your jobs!

You see, Part P creates a shortage of people able to commence electrical work, and the Government rectify this by swamping the country with european electricians!
Can't have it both ways - if Part P creates a skills shortage then people coming from abroad are ipso facto not taking anyone's jobs.....

Which leads me to my thought of the day - What's "Moo" in French?

You'll love this. I typed "The cow says moo" into the babelfish translation website and the French came back as, "La vache indique le MOO".

Straight up, no bull. Whoops there I go, having flashbacks to an earlier career as an artificial inseminator!

dingbat said:
Straight up, no bull. Whoops there I go, having flashbacks to an earlier career as an artificial inseminator!
Reminds me of that Tom Lehrer line about the guy who practised animal husbandry until they caught him at it one day....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back