Re: New Colours

I knew someone who worked very high up (higher than the employee you will hear about later....!!!!) in a certain wholsalers, who told me about an employee who was sacked for gross misconduct.

He used to disappear with the works van regularly at lunch and be away for long periods of time. Eventually he was caught.......with his trousers down........

A farmer caught him red-c*cked sh*gging a cow.......and called the police!

This is absolutely straight-up if you'll forgive the pun!!

The w/salers bosses had to search their terms of employment for a reason to sack him, as the guy in question reckoned he would fight it as the offence was not listed as sackable.........how many of you have "Thou shalt not have it away with quadrupeds" in your contract of employment??

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
recs said:
at the present moment in time, the EU parliment is trying to have the UK adopt the contennental two pin plug in place of the current three pin. Any half decent electrician or engineer will embrace the colour change and welcome the opportunity of working unhindered throughout the EU.
As far as Part P is concerened that is still only a white paper, there have been no definite rulings on what will be included under Part P. At the moment the NICEIC are pressing that unless you are an approved electrician then you will not be able to certify you own work.

hmm
there is no standard plug system accross europe
there is the 2 pin europlug bodge which fits most european sockets (including british if the shutters are opened though i don't advise this because of our 30A rings)

earthed plugs are still very much country specific though

maybe we should wire all our buildings with iecs they are a worldwide standard and a nice safe design ;)

Nobody suggested that there was a standard plug. But if you wish to be perdantic, each country has it's own idea of how a plug should be earthed, however, be rest assured that each countries plug does have an earth, either an internal or external. And for your information, 30 amp radial socket circuits are common throughout europe. We in the UK do not have the monopoly on them.

mildmanneredjanitor said:
recs said:
In this day and age of free trade and unrestricted work throughout the EU, it makes perfect sense for the colours changes to come in. The colour changes where programmed to be phase in, in two stages, the first of which we had 28 years ago with the introduction of Blue and Brown in domestic appliances, or have we forgotten about that. The changes do not stop there, at the present moment in time, the EU parliment is trying to have the UK adopt the contennental two pin plug in place of the current three pin. Any half decent electrician or engineer will embrace the colour change and welcome the opportunity of working unhindered throughout the EU.
As far as Part P is concerened that is still only a white paper, there have been no definite rulings on what will be included under Part P. At the moment the NICEIC are pressing that unless you are an approved electrician then you will not be able to certify you own work.

Ah yes, now I understand.

It's so all the immigrants that come to this country from Europe can take all your jobs!

You see, Part P creates a shortage of people able to commence electrical work, and the Government rectify this by swamping the country with european electricians! Electricians that would otherwise be on benefits!

3 birds one stone! A touch of sheer brilliance by the government!!!

:eek: :D :eek: :D

Part P will apply to all, it is not specific to UK electricians only!!

ban-all-sheds said:
recs said:
The changes do not stop there, at the present moment in time, the EU parliment is trying to have the UK adopt the contennental two pin plug in place of the current three pin.
Is that true, or is it more of the UKIP/Daily Mail type deranged anti-Europe ramblings? Would one of our IEE members like to check with them?

NICEIC aren't "pressing" for that - it's already in the draft Part P.

It isn't in the draft, not according to the NICEIC Technical Dept. In fact the wording for Part P still has not been finalized, this should have been completed last year by the Civil Servants, unfortunately there was a little conflict in Iraq that distracted them.

Sponsored Links
sure the modern plugs have earths but they are done in different ways and there is a situation where an earthed plug from one country in another countrys earthed socket won't be earthed

you say some other european countrys use 30A radials how is this done safely with unfused plugs that in some cases can have 3A flex attached (or is it done not safely or are we not the only country that fuses plugs)

also in a lot of europe not haveing earths is failry common in older installs (even in public places like hotels) unlike here where you see earthed sockets almost everywhere

securespark said:
What's "Moo" in French?

Dunno, but "woof" in french is "coin"... Ever heard a dog say "coin"? Those crazy francs and their wine-induced hallucinations :LOL:

Of course, I suppose it doesn't sound so daft if you pronounce it how a frenchy would.

I can imagine that our present government would bend over and let Brussels insert a 2-prong plug into their receptacles, but I really hope it never comes to that. Seeing as our power grids are all connected, would it be possible to disconnect our european connections from the UK grid, then blast them with so much power it obliterates all their current wiring, plug sockets, switches etc? Then we could force the whole of europe to rewire to a decent standard.

They eventually will try to "harmonise" plugs across Europe, but I really do hope they either adopt the superior standard, or come up with an even better plug. And the wallplates would have to be quality, not the gash you see all over europe that fall apart if you twiddle your moustache at them in the wrong way. :p

securespark said:
the guy in question reckoned he would fight it as the offence was not listed as sackable

He WANTED to carry on working there? Being forever known as "Derek who makes the cows go moo"?

I think in such a situation, you would want to resign from your job, sell your house, move to another country and then spend a week disinfecting your private parts. Perhaps he was hoping to sue for big bucks, too many "Claims Direct" adverts.

At least if he moves he won't have to put up with the reputation, but the grass is always greener... ;)

I too have tried entering Moo in Babelfish and it comes back with Moo, but my Eng/French dictionnaire says Moo in French is "MEUH"!!

Woof is down as "OUAH", "COIN-COIN" is what a duck says, Adam!!

Any more French farmyard noises gratefully accepted.... :LOL: :LOL:

securespark said:
Woof is down as "OUAH", "COIN-COIN" is what a duck says, Adam!!

Well, my French GCSE textbook definitely had a dog barking with a speech bubbles saying "coin!". I remember this as I was defacing the particular picture at the time, because I made the kid the dog was barking reply "I ain't giving you a penny!".

But according to this coin is for ducks.

However, when I type "The duck goes quack" into the Google language translator, "Le canard va charlatan". Hmmm... good to see their context detectors are working!

plugwash said:
sure the modern plugs have earths but they are done in different ways and there is a situation where an earthed plug from one country in another countrys earthed socket won't be earthed

you say some other european countrys use 30A radials how is this done safely with unfused plugs that in some cases can have 3A flex attached (or is it done not safely or are we not the only country that fuses plugs)

also in a lot of europe not haveing earths is failry common in older installs (even in public places like hotels) unlike here where you see earthed sockets almost everywhere

One countries plug not fitting another countries socket is obvious. Their radials are protected by a 30A bottle fuse back at the board, particularly in Germany. I have yet to stay in a hotel in mainland Europe that does not have earthed outlets and believe me I have stayed in some run down places in the course of my work. And as a matter of fact, no we are not the only country that uses the fused plug. In fact the UK type of distribution (ie 3 pin plug) is the most commonly used system in the world, as far as population is concerned. For example our system is used in China, Austrialia and South Africa to name but a few. As far as no earthing is concerned, it is no more common that finding an old installation in the UK with no PME or earth rod installed

Securespark & AdamW....I know one of the biggest gripes by the French is that the British do not try and speak the language but I think what they had in mind was talking to the people and not the farm animals.

recs said:
plugwash said:

One countries plug not fitting another countries socket is obvious. Their radials are protected by a 30A bottle fuse back at the board, particularly in Germany. I have yet to stay in a hotel in mainland Europe that does not have earthed outlets and believe me I have stayed in some run down places in the course of my work. And as a matter of fact, no we are not the only country that uses the fused plug. In fact the UK type of distribution (ie 3 pin plug) is the most commonly used system in the world, as far as population is concerned. For example our system is used in China, Austrialia and South Africa to name but a few. As far as no earthing is concerned, it is no more common that finding an old installation in the UK with no PME or earth rod installed

well everyone i have asked who has been in mainland europe has found non-eartheed sockets

not fitting each others sockets would be fine the point is they *do fit* but *don't earth*

Learning animaux-speak is handy. When we took our son round a French farm, the animals did not have a clue what we were saying when we said "Moo Quack, etc...."

But if you make the effort to talk to the beasts in their own lingo, they are really appreciative.

Saying "Meuh" instead of "Moo" to a froggy cow might make the difference between milk on your cornflakes in the morning or nowt.

fitter said:
Securespark & AdamW....I know one of the biggest gripes by the French is that the British do not try and speak the language

Yes, scientists have discovered that it is because of our declining number of smokers, we just don't have enough phlegm to speak French properly :p

I work with the French a lot (very nice people) and also Brits who have lived in France for a few years. I have noticed something: speaking French for a prolonged period does something to your face. The best description I can give is that it makes your face go a bit saggy and rubbery, and makes you look slightly unhappy. I mentioned this to a colleague, and he noticed it too after that. Perhaps I should write a paper on it :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back