re-pipe bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just found out that my gas mains pipe to boiler is not bonded within 600ml from meter, if at all.also, I cannot see any water pipe bonding, but the incoming water pipe is lead from underground.Does water need bonding? and can gas pipe be bonded to the water? Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about a domestic situation then gas and water will require a 10mm² bonding conductor. You can run a seperate one to each or one continuous to both (ie unbroken which is 'industry standard')

If you are talking about a domestic situation then gas and water will require a 10mm² bonding conductor. You can run a seperate one to each or one continuous to both (ie unbroken which is 'industry standard')
Hi Thanks for reply. It,s my house.Been in 15 years, just assumed it was bonded as I bought it off Gaffer for YEB; Does water need bonding as it is lead incoming from underground? Just curious as why he didn,t bond, being in the trade and had kids.cheers

Hi Thanks for reply. It,s my house.Been in 15 years, just assumed it was bonded as I bought it off Gaffer for YEB; Does water need bonding as it is lead incoming from underground? Just curious as why he didn,t bond, being in the trade and had kids.cheers

Have a read of this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:main_equipotential_bonding

It is suggested that bonding lead pipes can cause the lead to crush - but it depends on the thickness of lead. As you say you are supposed to bond the water pipe within 600mm of its entry into the house - it actually says where practicable - so if the lead is too soft then either you obtain special lead bonding straps (not sure where to get them) or you start the bonding from the first copper point after the pipe enters the house.

Sponsored Links

Have a read of this:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:main_equipotential_bonding

It is suggested that bonding lead pipes can cause the lead to crush - but it depends on the thickness of lead. As you say you are supposed to bond the water pipe within 600mm of its entry into the house - it actually says where practicable - so if the lead is too soft then either you obtain special lead bonding straps (not sure where to get them) or you start the bonding from the first copper point after the pipe enters the house.
My lead is the standard for water, x lbs.I,d have thought that would have been a good earth, and not needed bonding, it,s straight to ground.That,s probably why I,m not a sparky;

you are correct.
That is why you are not a sparky.

You are thinking an earth is an earth is an earth.

No it is not! (well not always).

The earth you have comming from the ground around your waterpipe and the earth you have comming from the ground around your gaspipe might be at a different voltage from the earth that is dervied for your electric supply (which might be a long distance from your house).

So if you strap all these "earths" together with a big thick conductor then they will all be at substantially the same voltage and therefore relatively safe.

-

Wherever you go in the world then between any two points there is always a difference in electrical potential.

Just in the same way that wherever you go in the world you always meet somebody from Milton Keynes :D

you are correct.
That is why you are not a sparky.

You are thinking an earth is an earth is an earth.

No it is not! (well not always).

The earth you have comming from the ground around your waterpipe and the earth you have comming from the ground around your gaspipe might be at a different voltage from the earth that is dervied for your electric supply (which might be a long distance from your house).

So if you strap all these "earths" together with a big thick conductor then they will all be at substantially the same voltage and therefore relatively safe.

-
Thanks, that,s a lot clearer.Mind you, I bought the house off a sparky for YEB, and now has his own electrical buisiness,And I have to instal bondings to his workmanship, 15 years later.You cannot always rely on the "expert", not in my case anyhow.It,s the house that Jack built.Something crops up every year.I,m 99.9% sure they renwed our gas outside to plastic, up to meter.My mate will be doing the sparky bit, he,s qualified, I,m just his Gofer, under the floor. 66 year old gofer mind you.Mind you, your cables and mine are different. If you want a cable car installing 1000 feet up a mountain, or underground, or just over a lake at a theme park, I,m your man.Steel cables, splicing and everything to do with them is my domain.Each to their own,.cheers

Just cos he's a sparky doesn't mean his installation will be any good, he prob had a guts full of wiring at work so never did any at home, builders homes never seem to be finished either.

Just cos he's a sparky doesn't mean his installation will be any good, he prob had a guts full of wiring at work so never did any at home, builders homes never seem to be finished either.
Hi, Guess so, Good job he didn,t work at sewarage then, just down the road.Excuse my ignorance, but, why bond 600ml from meter and water inlet, then run cable 40 feet to consumer board, when, boiler/consumer board/all pipes. hot & cold/all circs terminate together on one wall in garage, within 5 feet of everything.Obviously theres some reg for it, but, whats the reason? appreciate reply

Lead water pipes are not soft, they are extremely hard.

If they were soft enough to deform when connecting a bonding strap, they would have burst long ago from the water pressure inside.
(Water in the UK typically supplied at pressures up to 10 bar, which is 145 psi).

This might help

"You are here: Ofwat > Household consumers > Supply and standards > Water pressure
What are the official standards for water pressure?
The guaranteed standards scheme (GSS) sets out that water companies shall maintain a minimum pressure of water in the communication pipe serving the premises supplied with water of seven metres static head. Companies also monitor the number of properties at risk of low pressure against an indicator known as DG2. The DG2 measure is ten metres head of pressure, at the external stop tap, at a flow of nine litres per minute. This should be sufficient to fill a one-gallon (4.5 litre) container in 30 seconds.

Companies report to us each year about the number of properties failing the guaranteed standard and those at risk measured by the DG2 indicator. You can see these in our 'Service and delivery – performance of the water companies in England and Wales 2008-09' report. "

Cobblers Shoes were a good un :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back