re-plumming hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how-do folks

for a while now, (ie for the 2 years we've had the proprty) we've only ever been able to get a very small amount of hot water via the bioler and as such whenever we want a bath etc, have had to resort to using the electric immersion heating unit to get enought hot water.

we recently got a flyer from scottish gas (our gas provider) offering a free inspection service for heating systems.... when the guy came round to look at the system, we asked him about the hot water problem and after rummaging around for a couple of minutes, pointed out that the original builder hadnt actually plummed in a specific pipe for the hot water and so all we were getting was a small amount of residual hot water left over from the heating. when asked how much we'd be looking at to get this fixed, he suggested "to be honest, i probably wouldnt bother, as it'll be a BIG job to fix"

now for my questions.......

If i was to to take a second feed from the boiler (ie put a junction in the pipe for the heating).... A) should i split this before or after it goes through the pump unit?...... and B) do i need to feed the pipe into a tank or can i plump it directly to the tap?

any help would be most appreciated (as the thought of having to fork out for a local cowboy is getting me down)

Sponsored Links
By the way you posed the question I feel that you would end up in difficulties if you tried to do it yourself.
Best to tackle this one from the other direction
ie. getting a decent tradesman.
Wander into a plumbers merchants and ask the guy behind the counter if he can recommend anyone. He knows who buys what and also hears tales of who to avoid. Ask your friends if they can recommend someone.
Get a price or three before letting anyone start work on the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back